Appscale on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

xybrek

Apr 9, 2018, 6:08:19 PM4/9/18
to AppScale Community
Hello, would Appscale work reasonably on a Raspberry Pi Model B+?

1. Is there a pre-built image for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with Appscale?
2. If none, what is the best way to install Appscale on this RISC machine?
3. Given that on this machine only the micro-SD card can be replaced, would an 8GB be enough or 16GB is required?

Thanks.

Chris Donati

Apr 9, 2018, 6:22:21 PM4/9/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Given that AppScale recommends at least 4GB of memory, I would not recommend using that machine for production since it only has 1GB of memory.

There are no pre-built images for it, so you would need to run a typical build from source. Some community members have been able to run AppScale on it by adjusting some configuration options, but it's quite slow. https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/compare/master...cdonati:single-pi is based on an older AppScale release, but it shows some of the options that would need to be tweaked in order to get it running.

The required disk size depends on how much persistent storage the deployments needs. 8GB of disk space would be enough to install and run AppScale, but it would not leave very much space for application data.

Prof. Dr. Christian Baun

Apr 22, 2018, 5:31:40 AM4/22/18
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com, xybrek
Hello Xybrek,

In 2016/2017, I tried to get AppScale running on different single
board computers. Some results can be found here:

http://aircconline.com/ijccsa/V7N2/7217ijccsa01.pdf

Your biggest challenge is to reduce the main memory utilization of the
Cassandra DB. This is (or at least was) possible with the tweaks of
Chris Donati:
https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/compare/master...cdonati:single-pi

With these tweaks, I was able to start AppScale, but it was not very
usable because of the limited hardware resources.

My advice: If you want to use AppScale on single board computers (no
matter if only on a single node or by using a cluster), you should
replace the Cassandra DB with another DB solution that consumes lesser
resources.

https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/Adding-Support-for-a-New-Database

If you do this and if it works, please share how you did it. :-)

Best Regards
Christian

---
http://www.christianbaun.de