Errors in appscale tools installation

Moussa Jimi

Mar 2, 2017, 7:36:21 AM3/2/17
to AppScale Community
Hi,
I am in step 5 for installing appscale on virtualBox ( Deploy AppScale over the VM). This step requirs installation of appscale tools.
I installed pip as demanded, then when i run sudo pip install appscale-tools , many problems appear.
Here are the errors when running sudo pip install appscale-tools:

cloud@cloud-TravelMate-P253:~$ sudo pip install appscale-tools
The directory '/home/cloud/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/home/cloud/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Collecting appscale-tools
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:318: SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform. This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which can cause validation failures. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning.
  SNIMissingWarning
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:122: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/security.html#insecureplatformwarning.
  InsecurePlatformWarning
  Downloading appscale-tools-3.1.0.tar.gz (124kB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 133kB 694kB/s
Collecting adal (from appscale-tools)

....... here is a lot of installations.......

    compilation terminated.
    error: command 'i686-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1

Command "/usr/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-0I6cVS/cryptography/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-GqQamE-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-0I6cVS/cryptography/
cloud@cloud-TravelMate-P253:~$

Chris Donati

Mar 2, 2017, 1:53:25 PM3/2/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Since appscale-tools 3.1.0 requires the cryptography package, there are a couple additional system dependencies. After seeing your message, I updated the wiki page to reflect that. If you are on ubuntu, you should be able to fix the problem by doing `sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev` before installing the tools.