Appscale Dashboard - Missing "Delete All Logs" button

xybrek

Oct 29, 2017, 12:36:56 AM10/29/17
to AppScale Community
One of the major issues we find with Appscale is the it "cranks up" when disk usage is at max. And based in our limited experience to the platform it is due to log files consuming the disk, especially when data is external or outside of the Appscale platform, i.e. no Entity / Blob is saved by the app. So we are suggesting to that Appscale dashboard to have this "Delete all Logs" button to clear up all the logs and free up space.

We've tried to delete the logs on /var/log/appscale directory and Appscale stopped working, we had to restart and re-run all the startup tasks to manage to run it again.
Apscale_The_Missing_Delete_Logs_Button.png

Chris Donati

Oct 29, 2017, 9:26:50 PM10/29/17
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
That would be a useful feature, and we may eventually be able to implement it. It's a little tricky because even if you remove the files (with, for example, rm), the processes can still continue to write to the file descriptors as long as they have them open.

In the meantime, you could configure logrotate to be more aggressive about compressing and deleting old logs. By default, AppScale configures logrotate for each deployed application here and for the rest of the services here. Is there a set of log files that are particularly problematic, or are they all large?