Separating the appscale components into different machines.

apoorva da

Mar 17, 2015, 8:44:06 PM3/17/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been following this link https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/AppScale-on-VirtualBox to install appscale on an oracle virtualbox.
My requirement is to separate the database from the appscale machine.
The AppScaleFile machine mentions two layouts wherein in first layout all the four components namely master, appengine, database and zookeeper are in different machines
and a second layout for high availability.
So, while following the traditional approach of installing appscale as mentioned above, should we add additional boxes using vagrant add box command for database and then change the IP address for the component in AppScaleFile to separate the database component ?(After appscale init cluster and before appscale up)
If I already have a database on a different machine(hardware), and I'm able to connect remotely to that database from appscale virtualbox. How can I modify my applications on appscale to access that database ?

Thanks and Regards,
Apoorva.D.A

Navraj S. Chohan

Mar 18, 2015, 11:57:41 AM3/18/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hello Apoorva,
You should be able to configure an advance deployment in your AppScalefile. Please see the following link on how to do so:

In your layout you would have something along the lines of:

master: 192.168.1.2
appengine:
- 192.168.1.2
database:
- 192.168.1.3
Are you trying to access another database like postgres or mysql outside from AppScale?

Thanks,
Raj

Navraj Chohan (Raj), PhD
Co-Founder of AppScale Systems
A Google Cloud Partner

and a GigaOm Structure/LaunchPad "Best of the Best" Startups

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Meni Vaitsi

Mar 18, 2015, 12:15:29 PM3/18/15
to appscale_community

--
Meni Vaitsi
Software Engineer

apoorva da

Mar 18, 2015, 6:52:20 PM3/18/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply !!
The links provided were helpful .. I had missed out the updating appengine-web.xml file with the remote db address. The application works fine now .. :)

Regards,
Apoorva.D.A