EC2 appscale up hangs at "starting AppController"

Wentao Chang

Jan 2, 2015, 4:38:50 PM1/2/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a new user of both appscale and Amaze EC2. I've requested AWS free tier service, downloaded and installed AWS CLI, appscale-tools on Mac OS10.10.1, and tried to to deploy my GAE project following the step-by-step instructions in https://github.com/AppScale/appscale/wiki/AppScale-on-Amazon-EC2. However, the appscale up hangs at "Starting AppController...:.

The log is C&P as follows:
Machine image ami-78f56d10 does exist
Availability zone us-east-1b does exist
Starting AppScale without specifying persistent disks means your data will not be saved when your cloud is destroyed.
Are you sure you want to do this? (Y/N) y
Starting AppScale 2.1.0 over the ec2 cloud.
Verifying that keyname appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed is not already registered.
Creating key pair: appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed
Creating security group: appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed
Authorizing security group appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed for udp traffic from port 1 to port 65535
Authorizing security group appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed for tcp traffic from port 1 to port 65535
Authorizing security group appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed for icmp traffic from port -1 to port -1
Starting 1 machines with machine id ami-78f56d10, with instance type m3.large, keyname appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed, in security group appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed, in availability zone us-east-1b
Using on-demand instances
Waiting for your instances to start...
Waiting for your instances to start...
Waiting for your instances to start...
Started 1 on-demand instances in 42 seconds
Please wait for your instance to boot up.
Root login not enabled - enabling it now.
Log in to your head node: ssh -i /Users/root/.appscale/appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed.key ro...@ec2-54-165-114-76.compute-1.amazonaws.com
Head node successfully initialized at ec2-54-165-114-76.compute-1.amazonaws.com. It is now starting up cassandra.
Copying over deployment credentials

Any suggestions where should I put my hands on to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Wentao

Navraj Chohan

Jan 2, 2015, 5:04:50 PM1/2/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Try logging into your head node using the line:
ssh -i /Users/root/.appscale/appscaleaa02be24858548b18d6de4ce1d0505ed.key ro...@ec2-54-165-114-76.compute-1.amazonaws.com

There you can find logs in /var/log/appscale/. Tar ball those up and send them my way.

Thanks,
Raj

Navraj Chohan (Raj), PhD
Co-Founder of AppScale Systems
A Google Cloud Partner,
Gartner 2014 Cool Vendor,
and a GigaOm Structure/LaunchPad "Best of the Best" Startups

615 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
r...@appscale.com
http://navrajchohan.com

Wentao Chang

Jan 2, 2015, 5:38:59 PM1/2/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Raj, thanks for your quick response.  There're no logs under /var/log/appscale.  What does that mean?

Thanks,
Wentao
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to appscale_community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.

Navraj Chohan

Jan 2, 2015, 5:42:35 PM1/2/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wentao,
Try running it with verbose set to True on your AppScalefile and report back what the tools are reporting. It is very odd that you see no logs whatsoever in /var/log/appscale on the instance.

Thanks,
Raj

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/appscale_community.

Wentao Chang

Jan 2, 2015, 10:27:49 PM1/2/15
to appscale_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raj,

The issue is resolved now. The problem is that the phase of "starting AppController" took an extremely long time, and it appeared to me that it hung. I don't know whether it has anything to do with AWS free tier services that I use. It is all working perfectly now, thanks a lot.

Wentao
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to appscale_community+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.