ADS-B $10 receiver

Ian Shere

May 14, 2015, 1:58:13 PM5/14/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Just read the very interesting post at http://apps4av.com/2014/07/30/10-adsb-receiver-for-avare/ and wondered if there's been any progress on getting more than the 1090MHz traffic that was available at the time of writing (nearly a year back). As a good Kiwi (New Zealander) making something rather than buying, especially if it's stupid cheap, appeals to me.

Ian

Mike

May 14, 2015, 9:20:23 PM5/14/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ian

So far, the app still only supports 1090. There was good progress to enable 978 decoding - but it will still take a while before it can be released. Work in progress.. :)

Regards, Mike

John W SBA

May 14, 2015, 11:02:17 PM5/14/15
to Mike, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> There was good progress to enable 978 decoding

This is exciting news! Last I heard there was a hardware problem doing
it with the standard cheapo SDR USB sticks. Are you working on a
hardware/software solution that would be plans, kit or complete
(hopefully affordable) package?

> Work in progress

Please keep us posted! :)

John W SBA

May 15, 2015, 5:13:25 AM5/15/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I recall some mention of an ability to add our own maps to Avare, so I'm
wondering if it's possible to add USGS Topo charts from here:
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3580#.VVWd32ZlBSQ

I'd like the ability to view topo charts on my phone while flying Avare
on my tablet, for looking up landmarks and interesting features that are
often noted on topo charts. Has anyone done this, and is anyone else
interested? Might it even be possible to add USGS topo to the Download
/ Topographic Maps menu?

My guess is importing manually could be pretty gnarly because the
projection is different, and if so it's probably easier to just go with
Orux. I used OruxMaps back before Avare and it was ok, but I'd much
rather use Avare if it's not too much work importing the charts. I'm
already using OsmAnd for offline street maps, and it's very handy as a
complement to Avare and an alternative to gMaps for driving.

Zubair Khan

May 15, 2015, 8:43:26 AM5/15/15
to John W SBA, Apps4Av Forum
Added to issues list. We know they exist, but no one has asked before, and I dont use them.
https://github.com/apps4av/avare/issues/136

+1 if you need it. Lets see how much interest is there.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Peter A. Gustafson

May 15, 2015, 10:50:17 AM5/15/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
It is interesting to me... but "need" is too strong.  I almost never look at the related relief files we are currently using. Maybe due to their limited functionality?

I did a few quick looks... there is 1.35TB of data available.  It may be difficult to incorporate in the short term... but they won't change frequently if we do them

John W SBA

May 15, 2015, 11:30:13 PM5/15/15
to Peter A. Gustafson, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Zubair Ali Khan
> Added to issues list. ... no one has asked before

Maybe I'm the only VFR sightseeing pilot left in the country. :)

> almost never look at the related relief files

I'd completely forgotten about those because they're topo only - thanks
for reminding me.

> there is 1.35TB of data available.

Yikes! Maybe there's a way users could download a USGS topo to convert
& import to Avare on their own?

> won't change frequently if we do them

True, and once automated of course it would be massively easier and more
useful than users doing their own. Maybe users could request areas and
those could be done if/when time permits? Over time we'd have a
patchwork that could be useful to anyone else interested in those areas,
and provide a better idea of how many people would use them.

I downloaded CA_Goleta_20150323_TM_geo.pdf (20.4MB) and cropped/saved as
full size 4350x3413 jepg (3MB at "85% quality" w/o EXIF, etc.), and it
looks like satellite-derived but lacks the landmarks info in the older
topos unless it's on layers in the PDF (don't have the Adobe viewer). I
then got the ten year older CA_Goleta_290899_1995_24000_geo.pdf and did
the same with similar size results. To me the 1995 version is vastly
more useful, yet does seem to have been done digitally since it crops
perfectly square. That extra landmark info is exactly what I'm most
interested in, so the maps would need to be 7.5 minute quad scale. That
means a LOT of maps to cover the country, so maybe impossible?

There are plenty of high priority items on the wish list. Shall I check
out OruxMaps and report back, or is there a chance Avare could in fact
have 1995 version or equivalent USGS topo maps anytime soon? Is there
anything I could do to import maps into Avare on my own rather than
hassle with OruxMaps?

Peter A. Gustafson

May 16, 2015, 12:42:23 AM5/16/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Probably no (on users requesting one at a time). If they are to be done
(big if...), it should be done right and completely (and fit into the
current process). It is too difficult to deal with one-off requests and
not that much more difficult in terms of coding to do the whole country
as it is to do just one.

Having said that, you can treat it like an airport diagram/plate and
load it in a plate file. No developer intervention required.

I've never done it before but Z assures people regularly that this is
possible.

John W SBA

May 16, 2015, 4:02:45 AM5/16/15
to Peter A. Gustafson, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> Probably no (on users requesting one at a time)

Makes sense. I just thought if the code is easy it might save processor
time, storage and bandwidth to start small. Probably not worth doing at
all unless others express interest. Especially given all the higher
priority items.

> you can treat it like an airport diagram/plate and
> load it in a plate file. No developer intervention required.

I've been meaning to try that and kept forgetting! Is the process to
place a jpg in Android/data/com.ds.avare/tiles/1410/ifr/48/4/1? I put a
4MB version of CA_Goleta_290899_1995_24000_geo.jpg in
SD/Android/data/com.ds.avare/files/plates/SBA and it doesn't show up in
the Plates menu.

But even if I can get it to display it won't be georef, right? The
ability for users to geotag went away after we had tagged approach
plates, so the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF3tAnuaIE link in
Avare's Help file shows the button that's been removed. Is there some
new way to geotag user loaded maps?

> I've never done it before but Z assures people regularly that this is
> possible.

If I can figure out how to do it, maybe I can post directions. Donating
flight time for a Young Eagles event tomorrow so it would be next week
earliest.

Thanks yet again for a great app and all the help everyone provides.
Especially Zubair, Peter and TV!

Happy Flying -j

fly...@yahoo.com

May 16, 2015, 1:23:20 PM5/16/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com

Hi John, and everyone.

1-Create (Scan) a chart you want to use, name it CUSTOM- (anything i.e. -BOS-MyChart.png).

2-Resize to 1900x1900 or smaller.

3-Convert to .png if not already in that type.

4-Place your image in an already downloaded Plates folder, i.e. "......plates/BOS/" or any area you use, see pic with my file Path.

5-Tag it.

6-Load it from your active Plate Tab.

TV

CUSTM-Chrt.jpg

John W SBA

May 17, 2015, 3:09:48 AM5/17/15
to fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com
> 1-Create (Scan) a chart you want to use

Thanks for the tips, TV. I can display the file in the Plate screen
now. It's of limited value until geotagged though, since even over
familiar territory like this I'd be head down orienting to topography
and a few scattered familiar landmarks to guesstimate my location. It
appears the Tag button on the Plate screen no longer does anything. I
tried tap, multiple-tap, long-press and the Android Options button but
found no way for Tag to do anything other than blink when tapped. I
searched the app Help and found only one reference to "tag" but it's
outdated and mismatched with the current version as is the youtube link
and there's no Share option as mentioned. Once I figure it out would
you like me to update the Help file? Below are my steps so far, using
your tips:

1-I got CA_Goleta_290899_1995_24000_geo.pdf (21.1MB) downloaded from the
USGS site, and exported (saved as) a 3296×3995 pixel JPEG (7.3MB).

> 2-Resize to 1900x1900 or smaller.

2-I cropped my jpeg to roughly the top left quarter so the image
dimensions are now 1301×1631. I left some margins on so that
coordinates show clearly for more ease in tagging.

> name it CUSTOM- (anything i.e. -BOS-MyChart.png).

The long name above works with two more characters added as described
below, tho it takes two lines in portrait mode on my S4 phone.

> 3-Convert to .png if not already in that type.

3-I'd left it JPEG before and also full size, and it didn't show up. So
per your tip I saved the cropped version as
CA_GoletaNW_290899_1995_24000_geo.png (NW to signify that it's the
northwest section of that topo map). This new PNG file takes 6.8MB of
storage space.

> 4-Place your image in an already downloaded Plates folder, i.e.
> "......plates/BOS/" or any area you use, see pic with my file Path.

4-I looked in:
Map/Options/Preferences/Storage and Downloads/Charts Storage Folder
and found that my S4 is using this:
/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.ds.avare/files

I did a Bluetooth transfer of the file from my Mac to the s4, found the
file on my S4 using the My Files app, and used Options/Move to put it here:
/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.ds.avare/files/plates/SBA
Note that I added plates/SBA because Avare looks for it in the Plates
folder that corresponds with the destination airport.

> 5-Tag it.

Need help with that. Is there a new process posted somewhere, or does
it only work if you've compiled the code yourself?

> 6-Load it from your active Plate Tab.

The active Plate is chosen with Find to set the destination. Since the
area of my cropped topo is near SBA I put the topo files in the
../plates/SBA folder (step 4 above) and to view it set SBA as
destination using Find, then go to the Plate screen and tap the plate
name bar at the top to select my file for display. It works, will
center and zoom full screen vertical (extends over the sides in portrait
mode) with the bottom Center button, and I can pinch zoom it beyond 100%
for detail though it does pixellate.

Again, thanks for you tips TV. Even though I probably won't use it in
flight unless/until tagged it's cool for looking up trails and stuff
around here.

Peter A. Gustafson

May 18, 2015, 9:35:19 AM5/18/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
The size matters... it may be possible to use jpg at the smaller size?  TV or someone else would know better.

More importantly, if png is the actual requirement, you can often optimize the png file and significantly reduce its size.  Losslessly, or in a lossy way.  Color reduction to 256 colors (or even as few as 16) often makes a big difference.  I use imagemagick for color reduction and optipng for compression of the faa plates.

fly...@yahoo.com

May 18, 2015, 6:19:37 PM5/18/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com, fly...@yahoo.com
Hi John and everyone.
I am not sure why Tag does Not work for you? It should. Maybe Z can illuminate us?
I tried a .jpg file type a while back and I was Not able to get it to work as Plate, but I do recall the reason why not, I may have exceeded the size limits? TV

fly...@yahoo.com

May 18, 2015, 6:21:43 PM5/18/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com
Hi John.
Did you try to Tag a regular plate and see if you get the same results, unable to Tag?  TV

John W SBA

May 19, 2015, 1:21:13 AM5/19/15
to Peter A. Gustafson, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> The size matters... it may be possible to use jpg at the smaller size?

If there's ever a way to geotag these topo files (and scanned AAA maps),
I'll try small jpegs to see if they work.

> optimize the png file and significantly reduce its size.

Good idea. I think mine have the exif fields, and I didn't reduce colors.

Tried to get gHangoutsOnAir recording working for grand daughter
sessions (unsuccessfully). While plumbing the depths of gCrazy I
chanced upon a video by "Dev Team" titled "Out" that looks like Zubair
did it for Canyonlands using ChartSack rather than Avare. Guess the
code for geoTag could be put back into Avare, but maybe it's risky since
someone could mess up tags on their charts & plates?

Not a biggie. I'll just use OsmAnd and maybe look into ChartSack.

John W SBA

May 19, 2015, 1:51:44 AM5/19/15
to fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com
> I am not sure why Tag does Not work for you?

Haven't tried it on the N7, so maybe it's an S4 or Android 5.01 issue.
In case it's helpful: Avare 606; Device memory 16GB with 1.83GB
available; SD Card 3.67GB with 609MB available; with only Avare showing
in open apps the Tools screen shows Available 128MB, Map Size
1280x2304px, Screen Size 1080x1920px.

Thanks TV & Peter for the followups. I've let it go, and am glad the
team's working on higher priority items because this one seems to only
affect me and I have alternative options. -j

John W SBA

May 19, 2015, 1:53:28 AM5/19/15
to fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, pgust...@gmail.com
> Did you try to Tag a regular plate

No I hadn't.

> get the same results, unable to Tag?

Yes, tried it just now and the Tag button does the same thing: blink
yellow and nothing else happens.

Wayne R

May 19, 2015, 11:22:08 PM5/19/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 5:13:25 AM UTC-4, John Wiley wrote:
I recall some mention of an ability to add our own maps to Avare, so I'm
wondering if it's possible to add USGS Topo charts from here:
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3580#.VVWd32ZlBSQ

Hello all.
I'd like to echo John's interest in displaying USGS Topo charts in Avare.  I know it's probably a low priority for most, but I live in the low foothills of Maine, and want to explore some of the nearby airports deeper in the mountains.  It's easier for me to visualize terrain from Topos instead of aviation charts, so I would definitely us them for flight planning.

I'd like the ability to view topo charts on my phone while flying Avare
on my tablet, for looking up landmarks and interesting features that are
often noted on topo charts.  Has anyone done this, and is anyone else
interested?  Might it even be possible to add USGS topo to the Download
/ Topographic Maps menu?

I'd like to try that, too.  Topo on one device, chart on the other.

BTW  I love this app and enjoy reading all who post here.  Many, many thanks to the developers for all your work.

John W SBA

May 20, 2015, 3:42:58 AM5/20/15
to Wayne R, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
In my 5/15/15 8:30 PM post on this topic, I mentioned that the 1995
topos for my area are much better than the 2015 versions because they
include landmarks and points of interest. If anyone has the ability to
turn layers of the newer PDFs on and off, I'd appreciate knowing whether
all that older data has been retained but isn't showing in the non-layer
viewer I'm using.

Zubair Khan

May 20, 2015, 9:39:52 AM5/20/15
to Wayne R, Apps4Av Forum
Hi Wayne

Thanks for your comments. I wonder if you have tried VFR area plates that shows topo area around all airports small or big.

Zubair

Wayne R

May 22, 2015, 11:20:18 PM5/22/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, wereyn...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 9:39:52 AM UTC-4, Zubair Khan wrote:
Hi Wayne

Thanks for your comments. I wonder if you have tried VFR area plates that shows topo area around all airports small or big.

Zubair

Thanks for the tip, Zubair.  The plates I've looked at show roads and rivers, but no elevation data.  It would be nice to see how high the ridge is between two rivers.  That said, I do worry a bit about "Feature Creep" and the bloat that can bring to software.
Again, thanks to you and all the team developing this great app.

Best,
Wayne

Doug Moody

Jun 6, 2015, 9:26:18 PM6/6/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I read the article too, and it appeared on the surface that all that was needed was an ADS/B Receiver that received on an additional frequency to get radar and weather. Surely someone has and is selling a USB device that will do this?

Anyone out there who knows about these things and maybe where to source a cheap USB ADS-B receiver that will tune in those additional frequencies?

John W SBA

Jun 7, 2015, 3:01:26 AM6/7/15
to Doug Moody, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> received on an additional frequency to get radar and weather

Yes, several people have tried but so far as I know nobody has found a
way to do it with one of those cheapo USB stick SDR tuners that works
fine on the 1090 traffic channel. You need one that not only can
receive the UAT channel (which is theoretically possible), you need to
decode the data. That latter part is super complex and probably beyond
the capability of those cheapo SDR receivers. Someone posted scratch
built receiver plans and even software a couple of years ago (probably
linked somewhere in this forum), but I don't know of anyone else who's
built one and got it working. There may be a few other people working
on DIY receivers, but I don't know of any so far.

> cheap USB ADS-B receiver that will tune in those additional frequencies?

The prices seem to be falling some for units like the Dual, but so far
that's the best hope I've heard of. Apparently the engineering is nasty
enough that anyone doing it wants to recoup lots of R&D time. To me the
ideal solution would be something that combines several features, like a
WAAS GPS (much of that may be needed for the timing accuracy to decode
the UAT anyway) plus both of the ADS-B In bands. Then we buy the least
expensive Out unit that can use the WAAS signal and we're home. I've
been told that Out is by far the most expensive, because the FAA & FCC
certification standards are so gnarly.

Hope springs eternal that someone working quietly on at least the In
aspects will step forward with a new and much lower price point, and if
so hopefully we'll hear about it right away.

Could be I'm way wrong on some of all of this, but it's my impression of
where we stand.