display (and enter) winds for flight plan.

Vj Test

May 22, 2016, 3:32:22 AM5/22/16
to Apps4Av Forum
I put in a plan which gave unexpected results. I have a flight leg of 158nm (ktul-klaw), which should be 1:26 still air (aircraft preference set to 110kts). Plan shows 1:53 leg time, which would be 83kts! If I move the green plan entry to law, it shows 1:09 back to tul (137kts).
I have simulation mode selected and plan is active. Altitude is set to zero. (Snapshots attached).

I was expecting the wind used to be still air as I didn't have an internet connection at the time. I'm guessing that it was using old wx info - since theres no way (that I know of) to show or set the wind on any leg, thats just my guess.
The help for the plan page under "To simulate a flight plan" says the "time is calculated from TAS, hdg is calculated from wind speeds". So does that mean in simulation mode the times should be based on still air?
In any case I would expect it to use still air if the flt level is set to zero.

Is there a way to enter a forecast wind when planning a flight in the future?

I think it would be a good update if there was some way to see the w/v being used in the calcs. I know screen real estate is an issue on phones - it could be put on the far right of the table where you could slide the screen over if you wanted to see it. To be honest I'm a bit nervous doing fuel planning when I don't know what wind is being used for the flt time.

Thanks,
Vic

Thanks everyone for such a great tool.

Screenshot_2016-05-22-00-51-36.jpg
Screenshot_2016-05-22-00-51-15.jpg
Screenshot_2016-05-22-00-50-21.jpg

Zubair Khan

May 22, 2016, 5:27:12 PM5/22/16
to Vj Test, Apps4Av Forum

Hi VJ
These are good points. Will work on these after next release. I believe its very useful to show a wind column.
To plan with still wind, delete the weather file in download for now.

victor

May 23, 2016, 8:27:56 AM5/23/16
to Zubair Khan, Apps4Av Forum
I assume you mean the avare_weather_...html.  After deleting that, the old winds were still used  - I had to (save) delete and reload the flightplan to get nill wind times.    Thanks again.

Zubair Khan

May 23, 2016, 8:35:24 AM5/23/16
to victor, Apps4Av Forum
No actually html file does not provide winds. The winds are provided by weather under Download screen.
--
Zubair Khan
apps4av.com