Set fuel tank timer time?

Michele

Apr 3, 2015, 12:26:47 PM4/3/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I really like the new fuel tank timer feature.  But how do I set the time?  It's not very useful if it only provides 30 minute intervals.

Ron Walker

Apr 3, 2015, 12:42:36 PM4/3/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
At some point when we support multiple aircraft profiles, this will be
an item that is settable. Until then, it's 30 min.

--Ron

On 4/3/2015 11:26 AM, Michele wrote:
> I really like the new fuel tank timer feature. But how do I set the
> time? It's not very useful if it only provides 30 minute intervals.

midlifeflyer

Apr 11, 2015, 9:19:23 AM4/11/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Michele, I'm curious. What are you flying? I ask because fuel tank timers are usually used to prompt for switching from right to left tanks in a low-wing aircraft. I have used 30 minutes in every low-wing I've flown and know most others do as well since it assists with avoiding a substantial fuel imbalance. I think it's also the default for most 4-tank installations also.

Are you using it for something else, like total fuel time to reserve in a 172 where you don't generally switch tanks? I don't think I've met anyone who has used it for that purpose.

Tal Reichert

Apr 21, 2015, 6:17:50 PM4/21/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what Michelle is flying, but in many of the Piper PA-28s the POH calls for one hour on the first tank, followed by two hours on the second tank, then another hour on the first tank. At that point (four hours into the flight) you should have about 30-60 minutes left on each tank, depending on power and mixture settings.

midlifeflyer

Apr 23, 2015, 5:51:19 AM4/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I don't know anyone who actually does that. Not sure I've met any in 20 years. Would make an interesting survey.

There are also some manuals that call for intentionally running a tank dry. No thanks.

I guess some alternate timing might make sense for aircraft with tip tanks but even then, pilots and instructors I have known use the simple 1/2 hour method. Even in the "analog" days when your watch hand pointing to the left of the dual meant "be on the left tank."

Joel Graber

Apr 23, 2015, 7:05:00 AM4/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
On one of the planes that I fly we routinely use 1 hr left inboard, 1 hr right inboard, 1/2hr left tip. 1/2hr right tip, then should have 1/2hr in each inboard left.

midlifeflyer

Apr 23, 2015, 8:22:07 AM4/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
It makes sense that there would be special considerations for tip tanks since their location and the construction of the wing and tips can require a certain order of use and a greater need to keep track of where one it in the process.. But I think even then, in terms of a reminder timer, a lot of pilots would use 1/2 hour increments.

The reason I'm curious is that even in in-panel units with reminder capability - such as the Garmin 430/540, 650/750, you can set a reminder timer for one time only, unless you keep manually changing it.

Rodger Carr

May 8, 2015, 1:27:32 PM5/8/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I am unable to get the fuel tank timer function to work.  I use a Samsung tab 4 with  avare version 6.06.  When I double tap on a display field, nothing happens.  Am I missing something?

Zubair Khan

May 8, 2015, 10:03:51 PM5/8/15
to Rodger Carr, Apps4Av Forum
Double tap like you click a mouse on Windows to start a program. Do it on top of the screen where numbers are shown.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Rodger Carr

May 9, 2015, 9:01:22 AM5/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Zubair, that is what I am doing and I get no response after double tapping.

Ron Walker

May 9, 2015, 9:11:09 AM5/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
From the Help section:

The fuel tank reminder is implemented as a display instrument that is
selectable in any field of the top two status lines.
To enable it, double tap the display field you wish to use for it, and
select "Fuel Tank Switch Timer" from the list.
The timer starts up at 30 minutes and will count down to zero. It is
initially suspended/stopped.
Single tap the display field to toggle start/stop the timer value. When
the value reaches zero, a dialog is displayed
indicating "Switch Fuel Tanks". You must hit the OK button to dismiss
it. The timer will self-reset to 30 minutes to
begin the cycle all over again.

The long press gesture on the fuel tank field will reset the countdown
timer to 30 minutes.

Rodger Carr

May 9, 2015, 12:54:40 PM5/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I read the help section before trying to use the function.  Nothing happens when I double tap any of the display fields, no list is displayed

Ron Walker

May 9, 2015, 12:58:22 PM5/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Ah .. you may not have Dynamic Fields enabled...

Preferences/Application State/Use Dynamic Fields

Ensure that is check-marked. Then each area of the top two status lines
can be configured to be various status values by use of the double-tap
gesture.

--Ron

Zubair Khan

May 9, 2015, 1:10:29 PM5/9/15
to Rodger Carr, Apps4Av Forum

Rodger
You disabled dynamic fields in the preferences and thats why its stuck fixed. Z

Rodger Carr

May 9, 2015, 2:46:39 PM5/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks