Three questions about waypoints

Ian Shere

May 17, 2015, 1:07:29 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
1. In a number of other posts I see info like this: "Its already in the app with some of the above capabilities. Press on a waypoint in the plan list, where the = icon is on the left. The waypoint will start floating. Drag it to where you like. Drag it to extreme right to delete it." However, in my PLAN screen, I can't do anything to get the "=" up. I can highlight a waypoint and use "UP" or "DOWN" but this is time consuming on a long flight where the newly added waypoint appears near the bottom. Is this feature no longer in the software?

2. In MAP view, how do I select a waypoint to drag it rather than to have it open up PLAN? It does allow me to drag sometimes, but mostly opens the PLAN screen. I'm guessing it's the way I'm touching the screen, but I cannot figure it out. And, assuming there's an easy answer to this, how would I select a specific waypoint where there are 2 on the same point - on top of each other (for different legs of a journey)?

3. When I'm doing a flight plan, and not at the airport where I'm starting (I live 19NM away), I always get a starting distance of 19NM to my base. This, of course, screws the whole flight plan up. How do I do my flight plan and have it ignore this "leg" (which isn't a flight leg at all)? I want to build and file my flight plans (via Lockheed Martin) before leaving for the airport.

Thanks for a great piece of software.

Ian Shere

May 17, 2015, 1:15:48 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Actually a 4th question too...

On the PLAN screen, is the bearing true or magnetic? Thanks.

Doug Du Plessis

May 17, 2015, 5:29:28 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
For your issue #3, try planning in simulation mode so that your current location is not factored in.

Doug

Zubair Khan

May 17, 2015, 5:33:47 PM5/17/15
to Ian Shere, Apps4Av Forum

On May 17, 2015 1:15 PM, "Ian Shere" <citru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually a 4th question too...
>
> On the PLAN screen, is the bearing true or magnetic? Thanks.
>
> On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 10:07:29 AM UTC-7, Ian Shere wrote:
>>
>> 1. In a number of other posts I see info like this: "Its already in the app with some of the above capabilities. Press on a waypoint in the plan list, where the = icon is on the left. The waypoint will start floating. Drag it to where you like. Drag it to extreme right to delete it." However, in my PLAN screen, I can't do anything to get the "=" up. I can highlight a waypoint and use "UP" or "DOWN" but this is time consuming on a long flight where the newly added waypoint appears near the bottom. Is this feature no longer in the software?

This is changed to, click on a waypoint and when the green bar moves to it, press the delete button.

>> 2. In MAP view, how do I select a waypoint to drag it rather than to have it open up PLAN? It does allow me to drag sometimes, but mostly opens the PLAN screen. I'm guessing it's the way I'm touching the screen, but I cannot figure it out. And, assuming there's an easy answer to this, how would I select a specific waypoint where there are 2 on the same point - on top of each other (for different legs of a journey)?

Well if there are two waypoints on the same location then I can see it is hard to drag. To drag hold a point by its green circle.

>> 3. When I'm doing a flight plan, and not at the airport where I'm starting (I live 19NM away), I always get a starting distance of 19NM to my base. This, of course, screws the whole flight plan up. How do I do my flight plan and have it ignore this "leg" (which isn't a flight leg at all)? I want to build and file my flight plans (via Lockheed Martin) before leaving for the airport.
>>
>> Thanks for a great piece of software.

Zubair Khan

May 17, 2015, 5:34:24 PM5/17/15
to Ian Shere, Apps4Av Forum

All bearings are magnetic. Z

On May 17, 2015 1:15 PM, "Ian Shere" <citru...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ian Shere

May 17, 2015, 5:42:20 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I still don't get grabbing and dragging a point in MAP. 80%+ of the time, all I get is Avare jumping to the PLAN screen. Perhaps I'm plain doing something wrong, but it seems a very difficult thing to do. Couldn't we have a popup that allows the choice of DRAG or PLAN? This seems to me (inexperienced with Avare as I am) that this function is overly difficult to deal with.  Thanks.

Ian Shere

May 17, 2015, 5:48:33 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug - I see that this works. However, in my mind, it would be nicer if we could just stay in one mode and choose to include or exclude the first "leg". Perhaps it's just I don't totally understand the difference between Simulation and Navigation modes. Can you elaborate on when I would use both? Thanks.

Doug Du Plessis

May 17, 2015, 10:59:32 PM5/17/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Ian,

I recommend you read the Simulation Mode documentation in the "Help" option. It is explained there much better than I am able.

Doug

Zubair Khan

May 22, 2015, 9:11:26 AM5/22/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, citru...@gmail.com
I do not have issues with dragging a point. Maybe you are doing something else ?

Ian Shere

May 23, 2015, 7:50:55 PM5/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zubair

Just touching the point and expecting to drag it. Not long touching especially, just touching then moving. Almost always opens the plan.

fly...@yahoo.com

May 23, 2015, 10:53:30 PM5/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian.
Post a pic with the result.Can you post information on the type of Chart, Sectional etc.,how close you are to the possible active waypoint, zoom level, etc., also your OS, device...? TV

John W SBA

May 24, 2015, 1:10:43 AM5/24/15
to Ian Shere, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> Just touching the point and expecting to drag it. Not long touching
> especially, just touching then moving. Almost always opens the plan.

I've had this problem sometimes too. Maybe it varies by device, or I
just have a slow touch. At some point maybe an option could be added
for time delay on long-press?

Zubair Khan

May 24, 2015, 9:09:51 PM5/24/15
to Ian Shere, Apps4Av Forum
Hi Ian

Will try to make a video on showing how it works. What do you mean by it opens the Plan? The Plan cannot be opened by dragging on Map  unless if you Press the Plan button on the black pop out that lists a bunch of things like Plan, Direct, METAR etc.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Ian Shere

May 26, 2015, 6:05:08 PM5/26/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, gove...@gmail.com, citru...@gmail.com
My apologies Zubair - not "the plan" (bad, bad English!!). It actually pops up the information for the place the waypoint is over (if it's, for example, an airfield). However, in recheckign this, I did find if I pick up the waypoint in the rubber band in a sweeping motion rather than a click and drag, I can grab and move it successfully every time.

Maybe, as John suggests, at some stage clicking a waypoint could give the open of opening an information screen about the point or select to drag.

Cheers

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Ian Shere <citru...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Zubair Khan

May 26, 2015, 8:56:26 PM5/26/15
to Ian Shere, Apps4Av Forum
Hi Ian
Can look into improving the snap algorithm. But it does work fine and takes some getting used to. The reason I do not like adding a pop up to select drag or pan, is because it adds another layer of decision point between input and desired output.

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Ian Shere <citru...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Richard Woodcock

May 27, 2015, 8:26:07 AM5/27/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I had trouble at one time, but it seems to work fine now. I suspect it is "learning curve" - you have to select and move, faster than long press.

Popping up waypoint information (like airport information) with long press has been suggested before. While I would like to see that, Zubair pointed out that, for example, if a VOR is on the field, a selection list would necessarily appear. In some cases, several waypoints could be in "range" of the press. It adds complexity to both the programming and the useage. Tradeoffs.

Rich