Automatic airport diagrams

Michele

Mar 27, 2014, 1:21:32 AM3/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Here's an idea for a feature I would find useful.  What if there was an option you could check that would automatically switch the display to the airport diagram as soon as you land?  It should be easy enough to determine that.  If your GPS position is at an airport and your groundspeed has gone to near zero, odds are good that you just landed.  This would be a big help with stiuational awareness on the ground.

And would it be possible to do geo-referencing on airport diagrams?  I know Garmin has that.

Richard Stigall

Mar 27, 2014, 8:53:06 AM3/27/14
to Michele, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Avare already has that feature.  Geo-ref and all.

Select it via Preferences | Display | Auto Show Airport Diagram.  When you do this the airport diagram should display on rollout when you slow to 40 knots.

Rich

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Michele <mde...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's an idea for a feature I would find useful.  What if there was an option you could check that would automatically switch the display to the airport diagram as soon as you land?  It should be easy enough to determine that.  If your GPS position is at an airport and your groundspeed has gone to near zero, odds are good that you just landed.  This would be a big help with stiuational awareness on the ground.

And would it be possible to do geo-referencing on airport diagrams?  I know Garmin has that.

Michele

Mar 27, 2014, 12:38:52 PM3/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Michele
Oh duh!  I'll have to try that out next time - if I can ever get my plane out of annual.

So how about this idea - sometimes the ground controller will give a "hold short" instruction for some runway beetween me and my destination.  It would be handy if I could click on that runway and have it highlighted in red to remind me as I'm coming up on it to stop there.  Or even be able to click on each taxiway along the route and have them highlighted in green.

Richard Stigall

Mar 27, 2014, 12:53:33 PM3/27/14
to Michele, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I think the easiest way to deal with that is allow drawing on the airport diagrams like is possible on the maps.  Others have requested that as well, I could see that making its way into the app some day...

Rich

fly...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2014, 1:11:49 PM3/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Michele
Hi Michele.
As Rich mentioned you can get an Airport Diagram to auto load3on / after landing, or below 40 KIAS. If you want to see the AD before that, in flight, you have to manually select Nearest and press Plate.
There is some communication going on that my allow to load at some selected distance, before you land, but I am not sure when, of if it will be done. I am not sure if you can compile / modify code, but I, or Rich, can send you some mods that allow you to Autoload at some distance before you land.
At this point you cannot mark / write on the Plates. like you can on the charts, nut you can expand / zoom in to get a good idea where the Hold short may be. I am sure you know that you know that you  Do Not have to accept a Hold short clearance, and I always suggest that if one lands at an unfamiliar airport, don't accept it.
If you have a Flight Simulator, you can get FSX for around $20.00, you can familiarize / test these features in the comfort of your own home.
At some point may be a good idea to have a Virtual Flight Simulator built into Avare, maybe.TV

Michele

Mar 27, 2014, 2:31:34 PM3/27/14

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:11:49 PM UTC-4, fly...@yahoo.com wrote:
... I am sure you know that you know that you  Do Not have to accept a Hold short clearance, and I always suggest that if one lands at an unfamiliar airport, don't accept it.

Right, well actually I was talking about hold short clearances from the ground controller after landing, like "12XY, taxi to the FBO via Charlie, November, Delta, Kilo, *hold short of 25*."  By the time I get to Kilo, I might need a reminder to not cross 25.  The ability to highlight 25 with one press would be cool.  Or at least I think so :-)

I have ADB and I'm a retired programmer, though mostly of the Matlab/Interlisp-D Unix variety.  I've written only written one "hello world" Android app.  Is there any programmer's guide to Avare?  I don't know what the philosophy is for contributions or anything like that.

Zubair Khan

Mar 27, 2014, 2:47:37 PM3/27/14
to Michele, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Michele-

Change the app as you like it, then submit the changes for inclusion in the next release. Its for your own learning and fun.

There is no porgrammer's guide, but you can learn by reading the code, and asking questions. Let me know if you want to be added to the developer group and serious about contributing. github.com/apps4av/avare.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Kendell Bidwell

Apr 2, 2014, 9:23:44 PM4/2/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
While Avare does have the option to automatically switch to the airport diagram upon landing, I don't believe this works if you are already viewing an approach plate. (I haven't gotten it to work for me if I'm viewing an approach plate.) I think this might be a feature that could be useful.

Any thoughts?

-Kendell

fly...@yahoo.com

Apr 3, 2014, 12:10:13 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kendell.

You are correct, the Auto display Airport diagram only works from / in Map mode.

There is some more work / possible improvements coming, that will allow you to select the distance, rather than just during rollout.

The logic is that if you are in a different mode, other than Map, it's intentional on your part, and you may not want to be disrupted, change your view without your input.

 If sufficient users think that another approach, like auto load from any mode, should be implemented, post your opinions. Rich, and the group, are very good at taking user's input into account. TV

Kendell Bidwell

Apr 3, 2014, 3:15:53 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking that if you're looking at a plate, and you have the auto display airport diagram selected, it won't switch to the airport diagram until you are going sufficiently slow enough. Thus, it shouldn't interrupt going missed approach, as you would do that from a higher airspeed. I guess my take on this is that if you have the auto display set, then you want to to auto display no matter what screen you're on, however this may not be the case for some users.

-Kendell

fly...@yahoo.com

Apr 3, 2014, 4:18:50 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
H Kendell and everyone.
Your point is valid, and it may be a good idea to poll the users and see what they prefer. At this point the thinking is to allow an autoload at some distance out, of your choice, to give you the opportunity to view information, and get familiar with the diagram, before you land. I fond that most pilots want it loaded about 2 nm out.
If there are sufficient users that want it loaded from any Mode, we need to see what  the Group and Rich say.
At this point you can select Nearest and manually view the (any) Plates. TV

Dan Wegman

Apr 3, 2014, 4:58:19 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
My 2 cents:

If I'm flying an instrument approach with the procedure plate displayed, I don't think I'd want the airport diagram to appear prior to landing. Especially if a missed approach becomes necessary. But an automatic switch to the airport diagram would probably be okay once ground speed drops to ~40 knots.

If I'm displaying one of the maps (showing the airplane icon), then an automatic display of the airport diagram at some (user selected?) distance out is probably okay. The ability to toggle the display between map & diagram with a single click would be icing on the cake!

fly...@yahoo.com

Apr 3, 2014, 5:52:11 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan and everyone.

If I'm flying an instrument approach with the procedure plate displayed, I don't think I'd want the airport diagram to appear prior to landing.  Especially if a missed approach becomes necessary.  But an automatic switch to the airport diagram would probably be okay once ground speed drops to ~40 knots.

If the Distance Option gets implemented you can choose any condition, before, longer distance, or after, shorter landing. Satisfies everybody?

If I'm displaying one of the maps (showing the airplane icon), then an automatic display of the airport diagram at some (user selected?) distance out is probably okay.  The ability to toggle the display between map & diagram with a single click would be icing on the cake!

That already exists. Select Airport diagram>Nearest(ahead of time)>Plate(when you want it / close by / when you need it. TV

Dan Wegman

Apr 3, 2014, 6:39:17 PM4/3/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Doh! Yeah, the icing is already on the cake! I guess I wasn't thinkin'.

dlon...@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2014, 3:50:05 PM4/15/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Maybe set the automatic speed much lower than 40 knots.  Many of us using this app are flying ELSAs or slower Ultralight airplanes and landing speed is around 25 to 35 MPH.  Maybe 30 knots would be a better automatic that way you know you are on the ground.  40 knots is a little too high as some don't cruise that fast.  Don't knock it, slow is cool.  Just saying. We don't usually need all of that fancy flight planning as we just decide before we takeoff where we are going and one touch navigation is the best, never change that.  Dennis flying an Aeroprakt A20.  Cruise 100mph and touch down at 35-40mph.

fly...@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2014, 4:42:52 PM4/15/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dennis.
Having just one, preselected value, will never be satisfactory to everybody. If you select it too low will be useless for  some of the birds, and or will trigger / autoload from just the wind, too high not good for slow birds. like yours.
There was some discussion about having the Speed and the Distance selectable in Preferences, but it was never followed up / assigned, and at this point I do not know if it will ever be changed.
If you can compile your own code you can easily change it, or one of the developers can do it for you and send you a custom Build, not a good idea unless you will stay with the same version from now on.
The best work around is to use Plates>Airport Diagram> Nearest and manually load it when Plate is pressed, make sure you disable Autoload in Preferences. TV

Peter Gustafson

Apr 21, 2014, 1:34:35 PM4/21/14
to fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
A good long term solution to this seems to be a proximity plus speed combination.  Once you hit the threshold and then drop to a relative speed that is some fraction slower than the prior 2 minutes?

Pete

Paige

Sep 5, 2014, 8:52:42 AM9/5/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fly...@yahoo.com

The feature works as advertised, but I wonder if it would be possible to switch back from airport diagram to map if the ground speed increases above 40 knots.  I did a stop and go the other day and had to hit the map button on climbout.

Paige

fly...@yahoo.com

Sep 5, 2014, 11:57:07 AM9/5/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fly...@yahoo.com
Hi Paige.
Other approaches were discussed, but the overall agreement was that having the ability to turn Off, display under 40, or and manually turning it On was chosen as the best alternative. This may change as we get into Departure / Arrivals but we will have to wait. TV