map has black border on right side

Ingo N.

Dec 1, 2014, 6:18:49 PM12/1/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Since a couple versions ago I experience this bug sometimes where the map gets not drawn correctly on the right side of the screen..
Attached is a screenshot. It doesn't always happen and it seems to be more and less sometimes. If I move the map a little it will go away.
My device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Thanks
Ingo
2014-12-01-15-01-30.png

Zubair Khan

Dec 1, 2014, 7:12:59 PM12/1/14
to Ingo N., Apps4Av Forum
Hi Ingo

Reduced the number of map tiles to half of what they were. This saves memory to do more things. If its a minor inconvenience then we should have it at lower priority.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Ingo N.

Dec 1, 2014, 8:42:09 PM12/1/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, espr...@gmail.com
Well, I guess it's more annoying than it is an actual problem. Does it depend on which device it runs on? Making it configurable might be the solution, so people with limited RAM can set it low where high end devices can beef it up a little.

Ingo

David Vancina

Dec 2, 2014, 6:35:20 PM12/2/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I see a similar phenomenon. Screenshot attached. Is it the same issue? (I'm running an ASUS TF-101)

Thanks,

DJV
Screenshot_2014-12-02-17-30-53.jpg

Zubair Khan

Dec 2, 2014, 6:42:43 PM12/2/14
to David Vancina, Apps4Av Forum

Hi David
This seems like a 10 inch tablet. What is it? Screen fill depends on how much memory the OS gives to the app.

David Vancina

Dec 2, 2014, 6:56:27 PM12/2/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, vanc...@gmail.com
It's an Asus Transformer, TF-101. Android 4.0.3, 1GB RAM. System utility shows about 200MB available. (screenshot attached.)

If you tell me this will go away on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 I've been mulling over (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T330NYKAXAR) then TigerDirect is gonna' get some of my money. :-)

DJV
Screenshot_2014-12-02-17-49-25.jpg

Zubair Khan

Dec 2, 2014, 7:32:52 PM12/2/14
to David Vancina, Apps4Av Forum
Highly recommend Nexus 7 - 2 for about $200. Good GPS.
I can give anyone interested a higher screen width/height unofficial release, but it can crash due to memory limitations. In next release could put a setting to change the screen size regardless of what memory the app is given by ths OS, but that will be inviting dragons.

John Wiley

Dec 2, 2014, 8:01:39 PM12/2/14
to Zubair Khan, David Vancina, Apps4Av Forum
> could put a setting to change the screen size regardless of
> what memory the app is given by ths OS

Maybe a test option, and if it works user could enable?

Maybe easier if Avare displays available memory in the screen where the
user could set the memory size option? That way users could see how
much memory their other apps are using, and shutting down everything
they can before launching (re-launching?) Avare.

I guess ease of implementing any such feature is the main consideration,
given how many items are on the requested features list.

David Vancina

Apr 23, 2015, 7:03:54 PM4/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, vanc...@gmail.com
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. It has 3GB of RAM. I would not mind trying out that unofficial release.

Nathan Allen

Apr 28, 2015, 12:06:05 PM4/28/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, vanc...@gmail.com
I picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (2560x1600) and I would be up for testing out the functionality of screen size/memory modifications. I am running into this problem often and would like to help explore ways of correcting it if possible. The borders are not application breaking for me, but it does get to be a bit annoying when searching/panning around the map.

Zubair Khan

Apr 28, 2015, 12:23:50 PM4/28/15
to Nathan Allen, Apps4Av Forum, David Vancina
Hi Nathan

After the next release we will look into map improvements. If you can compile the code from github, then you can remove memory restrictions on high resolution devices and the border should disappear.

John W SBA

Apr 28, 2015, 2:34:26 PM4/28/15
to Zubair Khan, Nathan Allen, Apps4Av Forum, David Vancina
> memory restrictions on high resolution devices

As I understand it, the memory restrictions are there to preserve
compatibility with older and smaller devices. I'm glad potential
solutions will soon be explored, such as maybe a user option to change
the memory allocation with suitable warning.