Clearing Memory For Avare?

John Wiley

Dec 18, 2014, 3:37:32 AM12/18/14
to Apps4Av Forum
Question for Android experts: Might it sometimes be useful to Clear
Memory before launching Avare?

The reason I ask is that sometimes our users report odd problems or
memory problems specifically, and nearly all Android users have multiple
apps running at all times but don't know it. I presume that could lead
to memory issues due to apps with sub-optimal memory management. Most
also believe that 16GB of memory with 3GB free means our lean and mean
Avare will run just fine, despite the fact that Android might only make
a small portion of that memory available to Avare.

Case in point: right now my Samsung Galaxy S4 shows Device Memory Total
Space at 16GB (Settings/More/Storage), with Available Space 3.15GB; and
SD card with Total Space of 3.67GB and Available 162MB (gotta delete
some stuff soon!).
BUT, when I long-press the Home button there's a long list of recent
apps shown and when I tap the Task Manager button and then the Ram
button, I see what Avare presumably sees: 1.49GB/1.77GB with some
descriptive text and a Clear Memory button at the bottom.

I know that Android automagically manages memory, but might there ever
be some value in tapping that Clear Memory button before launching Avare?

Bonus Questions :)
*While I'm asking about this, might there be any value in clearing
*after* using Avare if I won't be using it again?

*Also, am I correct in guessing that swiping an idle app with no real
Exit (I'm looking at you, Firefox) from the Task Manager list will close
it more gracefully than a Force Stop? I use the S4's Active Apps widget
to keep the number at zero, but usually don't hit the End button it
provides because that's a shortcut for a Force Stop (with the standard
dire warning).

David Vancina

Apr 23, 2015, 7:07:11 PM4/23/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, joh...@gmail.com
Check out the Firefox add-on called "QuitNow". Makes me smile again. :-)

John W SBA

Apr 24, 2015, 3:15:39 AM4/24/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> Check out the Firefox add-on called "QuitNow". Makes me smile again. :-)

I wonder if the spammers have found this Forum, because the invitation
to check out this plugin gives no details and I don't find it in Firefox
or in gPlay. Have I missed something?