Re: NMEA output

Support

Nov 7, 2013, 8:56:55 AM11/7/13
to Gary Hertzler, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary

I would like to finish this now several months after your original
request. But I have to understand what you need...
1. I understand your setup. This means sending NMEA data on Bluetooth.
Is that correct?
2. Whats NMEA data does your auto pilot need? Lon/Lat, Altitude, Speed,
Heading, ?

Zubair

On 11/06/2013 11:46 PM, Gary Hertzler wrote:
> Zubair,
> Commenting your your response to the nmea output to drive an autopilot
> from a Nexus 7. The NMEA string is fed to an RN240 rs232 adapter by
> Microchip. The adapter converts the NMEA string to RS232 format which
> is fed to the autopilot. I am presently using this setup with a Nexus
> 7 running Navaitor software. I would prefer to use Avare but until I
> can drive my autopilot with Avare I am choosing Naviator. Would
> appreciate it if you would put this on you list of things to do.
> Thanks
> Gary Hertzler
> Vari Eze N99VE

Gary Hertzler

Nov 20, 2013, 8:09:11 AM11/20/13
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler
Zubair,
I have made several flights using Avare on my Nexus 7 to drive a Trio EZ Pilot through a Bluetooth to RS232 adapter.  I find that the ground speed now reads correctly on the autopilot and duplicates what is displayed on the Avare map.  However I find that the BT connection is not stable and looses connection for several seconds periodically.  Switching to a competing aviation android software and all the same hardware the autopilot connection is very stable.  Any thoughts why this is happening?
Gary Hertzler

Zubair Khan

Nov 20, 2013, 8:42:50 AM11/20/13
to Gary Hertzler, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler
Thanks for the testing Gary.
I will buy this adapter and try it myself. Let me see if I can find one on ebay. Its probably a bug in my code.
Zubair

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776

Chuck Pilot

Mar 27, 2014, 1:09:44 PM3/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I was watching the autopilot NMEA data output stream from AVARE using the External I/O plugin and it appears that there is no carriage return or line feed at the end of the sentence. If I remember my NMEA specification correctly there needs to be a cr/lf at the end of each sentence. Also, to completely drive external equipment (e.g. JPI FS-450 fuel flow computer, autopilot, etc.) the output must not only include the NMEA $GPRMC sentence but also the NMEA $GPRMB sentence. The plugin also appears to only allow one Bluetooth connection. If possible it would be nice to be able to use both an external Bluetooth GPS/ADSB receiver input and an external Bluetooth output for things like JPI FS-450 and autopilot.

Chuck.

Zubair Khan

Mar 27, 2014, 1:46:24 PM3/27/14
to Chuck Pilot, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
GPRMB has been a request for a long time. Need to add it.

CR/LF should be easy to add.

Simultaneously running many connections is a good idea. Used to have it but then removed it, and no one complained about it till now.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Chuck Pilot <cwale...@netzero.net> wrote:
I was watching the autopilot NMEA data output stream from AVARE using the External I/O plugin and it appears that there is no carriage return or line feed at the end of the sentence. If I remember my NMEA specification correctly there needs to be a cr/lf at the end of each sentence. Also, to completely drive external equipment (e.g. JPI FS-450 fuel flow computer, autopilot, etc.) the output must not only include the NMEA $GPRMC sentence but also the NMEA $GPRMB sentence. The plugin also appears to only allow one Bluetooth connection. If possible it would be nice to be able to use both an external Bluetooth GPS/ADSB receiver input and an external Bluetooth output for things like JPI FS-450 and autopilot.

Chuck.

Zubair Khan

Mar 30, 2014, 12:24:17 PM3/30/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler
Chuck, Gary

I cheked the output of various GPS units and see that there is no CR LF at the end of the sentences.

The latest IO module release does not have CR LF.

However, now you can run the module with many simultaneous connections.

RMB is not done yet.

Zubair

Chuck Pilot

Apr 5, 2014, 8:28:34 PM4/5/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler

Hi Everyone,

I have been testing the new External I/O plugin V2.0.1 and the multitasking appears to work properly. I have also found a couple of things.

When an external GPS receiver is used the “GPS” tab with the sky view of the satellites does not show any satellites. The rest of the app seems to work correctly and navigation appears normal.

The JPI FS-450 fuel flow system will not recognize a NMEA sentence without a terminating carriage return and line feed. I guess that this is a standard for NMEA? Also my QSTARZ GPS and AnyWhere Map (which does drive the FS-450) output a carriage return, line feed at the end of each NMEA sentence.

What I know about Java wouldn’t even begin to cover the tip of the surface but I would modify the following routine in the AvActivity.java external I/O plugin as follows to add the cr/lf to the NMEA output sentence.

    private int write(byte[] buffer) {

        /*

         * Simply write the NMEA output, no need to parse it.

         */

        /*add carriage return, line feed to NMEA buffer before sending it */

        buffer.concat("\r\n");

        /* buffer now has cr, lf added at the end of NMEA sentence */

        int wrote = buffer.length;

        try {

            mStream.write(buffer, 0, buffer.length);

        }

        catch(Exception e) {

            wrote = -1;

        }

        return wrote;

    }

I have not been able to get anything compiled on my own and really feel like a dinosaur in this android environment. I compliment all of you who have this talent.

Chuck.

Zubair Khan

Apr 6, 2014, 9:20:51 PM4/6/14
to Chuck Pilot, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck

Still investigating the \r\n. Will add it as soon as its established that its safe to add it for other devices.

Thanks
Zubair

Chuck Pilot

Apr 10, 2014, 1:50:43 PM4/10/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

I have been very busy and have not been able to do much testing on the new External I/O plugin V2.0.2 With a on the ground test it looks like AVARE now couples to a JPI FS-450, QSTARZ GPS and autopilot coupler at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to do some real flight testing this weekend and get back with a full status report.

Chuck.

Chuck Pilot

Apr 12, 2014, 6:17:07 PM4/12/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

Did some flight testing today with the new I/O plugin V2.0.2. The system configuration is a Samsung tablet 10.1, QSTARZ GPS receiver and Bluetooth to RS-232 receiver to a JPI FS-450 fuel flow computer and an autopilot interface. The external GPS worked well and the output of AVARE with the $GPRMC sentence talked to the JPI giving nautical miles per gallon and talked to the autopilot coupler giving the heading hold function. The Bluetooth connection was solid and there were no drop outs. This was only some local testing but I feel it will work just as well on a long x-country.

The next enhancement for the external plugin might be to add the $GPRMB sentence to allow full autopilot tracking of the programmed course, and also to get the external GPS to display the satellites in the “GPS” tab.

Many thanks to all.

Chuck.