Auto pilot RMB

Zubair Khan

Apr 13, 2014, 1:49:26 PM4/13/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler, Chuck Pilot
Hi
I added the GPRMB support to Avare external IO module 2.0.3, and Avare 5.5.1. Just released these versions on the Play store.

Please test with your auto pilots, and let me know.

Thanks
Zubair

--
Zubair Khan
apps4av.com

Chuck Pilot

Jun 16, 2014, 8:02:15 AM6/16/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fgaryh...@gmail.com, cwale...@netzero.net

Hi Zubair,

Have been testing V6.6.1 and it appears that the third field (steer left or right to correct) of the GPRMB sentence always reports “L”. It seems to be stuck.

Thanks,

Chuck

Zubair Khan

Jun 16, 2014, 10:51:03 AM6/16/14
to Chuck Pilot, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, Gary Hertzler
Hi Chuck
Has it ever worked before for you? I remember you saying that it was not working but then some others told me that it did in fact work both R/L.

Zubair

Chuck Pilot

Aug 6, 2014, 5:54:49 PM8/6/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fgaryh...@gmail.com, cwale...@netzero.net

OK, I have been gone for well over a month. Have finally gotten back to testing the GPRMB sentence using AVARE V5.6.9. There still seems to be an anomaly with the steer L/R flag. It seems to unpredictably change from steer left to steer right and back. This happens mostly when the aircraft is to the left of the flight plan course. When to the left of course it indicates mostly steer left but sometimes it shows steer right for brief times. There seems to be no consistent pattern. It is quite confusing to the autopilot coupler, never allowing it to intercept and acquire the programmed flight plan. Is there a way to record the autopilot output for later analysis? Also, could it be possible to add a left/right indication to the CDI field display?

Thanks

Chuck

Zubair Khan

Aug 6, 2014, 9:37:32 PM8/6/14
to Chuck Pilot, Apps4Av Forum
Hello Chuck,

Could you go to Preferences, and then Select "Show CDI/VDI". This will show a horizontal bar in the bottom of the screen. It acts like a VOR. Please note what it shows and let me know. The L/R flag is based on the color of this bar.

Thanks

Chuck Pilot

Aug 7, 2014, 1:36:30 PM8/7/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fgaryh...@gmail.com, cwale...@netzero.net

Went for a test flight of the NEMA data out. The only displays I have are the AVARE CDI (ACDI for this discussion), AVARE digital CDI (DCDI) and a panel mount CDI (PCDI driven from the NMEA data). The first test I did was to program a course that required a 330 degree ground track. Then flew to a location about 3nm to the right of the programmed course at a heading of 100 degrees and engaged the autopilot. Everything worked correctly. A turn to a 45 degree intercept was executed and the programmed course was intercepted. However, as deviations to the left of the course occurred the ACDI indicated correctly but the PCDI continued showing steer left. As the deviations to the left continued there would be points at about .5 to 1 nm left of course that the PCDI would indicate a deviation to the right or steer right for brief periods. This indication was unpredictable. All the while the ACDI appeared to indicate correctly. The DCDI appeared to show correct NM off course at all times. It is difficult to monitor all this and fly at the same time so there could be many things I am missing. It seems that the ACDI is programmed for 1 nm per bar but once I noticed it was showing a bar off while the DCDI showed 0.10. As a side note I am also using the output from an AnyWhereMap system running on an IPAQ to verify the autopilot and coupler functionality.

Another test was the maintain ground track function (e.g. heading hold) which only uses the $GPRMC sentence and this appears to always work correctly.

If AVARE would output the autopilot data while sitting still on the ground I could do a lot more testing on the bench and record the NMEA data output.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck Pilot

Aug 15, 2014, 3:39:05 PM8/15/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, fgaryh...@gmail.com, cwale...@netzero.net

Hi All,

Have done some more testing of the $GPRMB sentence using AVARE V 5.7.4. When off course and to the right of course by more than a mile at approximately 1 minute (+- 20 seconds) intervals with the steer L/R flag showing steer L, the flag will switch states to R for about 2 seconds (maybe less) and then switch back to steer L where it should be. When closer to course (< 1 mile) this anomaly happens more often. There appears to be no problem when to the left of course and the output is steer R. I would make a wild guess (WAG) that the way the high level language sets the sentence fields is to first reset the field (e.g. to R) and then set it to the correct value. Then at random times when things are just right an interrupt occurs and causes the sentence to be sent out after the field is reset and before it is properly set yielding this anomaly. Possibly turning off NMEA output while updating fields would help. The reset state being steer R is why it doesn’t show up when left of course.It is useable the way it is and a pleasure to see AVARE bluetooth an autopilot.

Thanks,

Chuck

Zubair Khan

Aug 16, 2014, 9:39:18 AM8/16/14
to Chuck Pilot, Apps4Av Forum, Gary Hertzler
Thanks for the comprehensive report Chuck. I am still looking into it. Wa distracted by geo referencing.
Thanks
Zubair