Sunlight Readable Displays?

Apps4Av Forum

May 25, 2015, 8:06:45 PM5/25/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I fly a touring motorglider (single-place) with a bubble canopy, so sunlight readability is at the top of my gps wishlist. Right now I use a 6" e-ink Nook e-reader (black & white), rooted and running an open-source glider computer, http://www.tophatsoaring.org. This is a reasonable solution which becomes even more readable in direct sunlight, but the app is designed for soaring competition and has features I don't need or want.

I've been playing with Avare for awhile on a Moto G phone and it's pretty impressive. I really want to use Avare but I need a tablet that is useable in direct sun without being moved around or shaded as it will be in a kneeboard mount.

So is there a tablet available yet that might work for me? Thanks for any suggestions.

Dennis Hampshire IL

May 26, 2015, 3:33:32 PM5/26/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I'm using a NEXUS 7 2nd Gen with excellent results.  When set for AUTO-brightness it keeps the display readable at all times.
Look for a tablet that has a very high NIT Brightness rating of 500 or better.

Mike

May 26, 2015, 5:53:15 PM5/26/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Bright device combined with an anti-glare protective foil works best for me.

Regards, Mike

Richard Woodcock

May 30, 2015, 4:53:49 PM5/30/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried (or considered) a monochrome Epaper reader running android?

I don't know if any have GPS, and screen update is notoriously slow, OK as a reader, less so in other applications (like this). They are totally sunlight readable, however.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/09/12/review-icarus-illumina-hd-e653-boyue-t61-android-ereader/

Rich

bman

May 30, 2015, 5:37:22 PM5/30/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
The best daylight display I have seen is the Samsung tablet.  I use a Samsung Tab 2 7 inch and it is REALLY good in sunlight. The only issue I have had is that while charging, in sunlight through the side window, the battery can become too warm and shut down the tablet.  Solution is to just turn down the light level or shade it a bit.

Apps4Av Forum

May 31, 2015, 8:54:51 PM5/31/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 1:53:49 PM UTC-7, Richard Woodcock wrote:
Has anyone tried (or considered) a monochrome Epaper reader running android?

Yes, read my original post in this thread. I'm running Android on a rooted Nook with Tophat as the nav app. I use a usb gps dongle that gets velcroed to the top of the panel. No issue with screen update speed, and of course nothing is more readable in direct sunlight than an e-ink display. However, Avare is certainly more full featured and I'd like to give it a try.

Wayne R

Jun 1, 2015, 10:37:38 PM6/1/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 8:06:45 PM UTC-4, Apps4Av Forum wrote:
I am using a Samsung Tab S 8.4 in tablet.  I'm not an expert or a super user, but it has the best sunlight readable display I've seen on any phone or computer.  In sunlight bright enough to make most phone displays black,  my Moto G phone is nearly black, but the Samsung Tab is still plenty readable,  Not fabulous, but the only display I've seen that's still readable.  The only downside, if you care, is it's WIFI only (hence he Moto G, which can make a WIFI hotspot).  I believe newer models of the Tab S are data capable, but my Model SM-T700 is not.

   I've never had the slightest problem seeing the Tab S display in my Avid Flyer with it's full skylight, but that is probably not as bright as your bubble canopy,

Best,
Wayne

Richard Woodcock

Jun 4, 2015, 10:03:17 PM6/4/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried Avair on your Nook? Assuming you can get it to run, I'd be curious as to how it would display monochrome.

Rich
Message has been deleted