Re: [appjs-deskshell] Better graphics? x.x (#7)

Chris Banford [Webascent]

Sep 26, 2013, 7:53:22 AM9/26/13
to appj...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingwie,

I've just put in a pull request with a newly created logo set in vector format (.eps and .pdf).

These should easily be usable in any size, although tiny versions tend to need some hand-crafting to be clear.

Cheers,
-Chris

Making one huge size would be better.
The size of this icon should do it - we can still downscale it if needed.
http://drag0ninstaller.tk/green.png
Am 25.09.2013 um 16:54 schrieb Chris Banford <notifi...@github.com>:

> As soon as I can squeeze a couple of mins in, will look at creating some
> other icon sizes -- if someone could send me a list of what's needed,
> shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris
>

> > I am currently working on the Deskshell bundle...and I just converted
> > the icon without checking the size - and then I realized, ouch, its
> > tiny XD. Can somebody give me something with a resolution closely to
> > 100x100? x.x...
> >
> > Hint... this could be useful: http://iconverticons.com/online/
> >
> > —
> > <https://github.com/sihorton/appjs-deskshell/issues/7>.
> >
> —

Chris Banford [Webascent]

Nov 6, 2013, 4:32:49 AM11/6/13
to appj...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang,

Okay, this time I'm making sure to send to the mailing list (and not hijacking a github thread!) :-)

I'd like to try and get a deskShell project working with TypeScript.

How to install TypeScript so I can in theory automatically compile & run it directly from the deskShell project when doing a refresh? It seems that this should be possible...

A simple pointer in the right direction anybody ?

Cheers,
-Chris

Kevin Ingwersen

Nov 6, 2013, 5:31:33 AM11/6/13
to appj...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

Can you provide some TypeScript example, or short summary of what it is? It sounds like some sort of Javascript o.o

sihorton

Nov 6, 2013, 5:39:50 AM11/6/13
to appj...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I have not used TypeScript myself but I looked at their website and it is provided as an npm module. Therefore you could try doing something like the following:-

  • Deskshell comes with nodejs already installed but for ease of use of TypeScript I would suggest installing it on your machine.
  • cd to your deskshell application directory
  • npm install -g typescript
  • create a file app.ts (for your application file -- app.js)
  • whenever you save app.ts you can then run from your application directory:
  • tsc app.ts
This should then compile out app.js and you can run the deskshell application from it. In the same way if you want to use typescript for javascript loaded in the browser then create a .ts file and whenever it changes compile it.

I looked on stack overflow and found the following code for watching a directory (https://github.com/paulmillr/chokidar)

var chokidar = require('chokidar');

var watcher = chokidar.watch('file or dir', {ignored: /^\./, persistent: true});

watcher
  .on('add', function(path) {console.log('File', path, 'has been added');})
  .on('change', function(path) {console.log('File', path, 'has been changed');})
  .on('unlink', function(path) {console.log('File', path, 'has been removed');})
  .on('error', function(error) {console.error('Error happened', error);})

So then what you could do is write a handler that sees what the file extension is, if it is a .ts then run tsc file.ts so that you compile changes as soon as you save them from your text editor.

/Simon

Luke Chavers

Feb 10, 2014, 1:26:48 AM2/10/14
to appj...@googlegroups.com
It's worth pointing out the madness in using TypeScript and DeskShell together.

TypeScript is still working on their 1.0 release, and we can barely tell from this point where that project will go.  However, since its principal designer is Anders Hejlsberg, one can assume that it will take a similar course as his more notable creation, C#.  You can see the philosophies of C# throughout TypeScript.  Our team looked at it very seriously for our upcoming 3.0 series of products, but we eventually called a stop to it because, like C#, I think it removes too much developer flexibility in favor of consistency while strict coding conventions and source reviews could do nearly as well.

It seems to me that someone wanting to do this would be better off just running with C#.  The handful of things that DeskShell brings to the table that C# does not (perhaps) would be much easier to mitigate than the things C# brings to the table that DeskShell does not.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just saying that its worth recognizing how mad it is ;)  It has this whole Inception and The Matrix vibe to it.  It's sort of wild.

Thanks,
Luke