CLI configuration parameters VS manifest.yaml

Jose Carrasco

Jan 7, 2015, 3:03:36 PM1/7/15
to appfog...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have read about the CLI usage. I read that the application deployment and the
deployment context are configured through the CLI. For example, when you want
to deploy an Java Application (war, ear), the CLI allows to configure the next parameters (font [1] and [2]
Would you like to deploy from the current directory? [Yn]: Y
Application Name: hello-java-sample
Application Deployed URL: 'hello-java-sample.cloudfoundry.com'?
Detected a Java Web Application, is this correct? [Yn]: Y
Memory Reservation [Default:512M] (64M, 128M, 256M or 512M) 256
Creating Application: OK
Would you like to bind any services to 'hello-java-sample'? [yN]: N
Uploading Application:
  Checking for available resources: OK
  Packing application: OK
  Uploading (4K): OK
Push Status: OK
Staging Application: OK
Starting Application: OK

It is very useful. However, I have a question about this.
I read that af CLI is based on VMC (Pivotal) [3], which allows describing the
configuration of the deployment context (the services, memory, etc) using a
configuration yaml (manifest.yaml). So, is it possible use this alternative in AppFog?

Last, how do AppFog detect the required technology by an application? I suppose that
determine the target technology patterns of the deployment artifacts. For example,
if it is a .war or .ear using Java. But I am nos sure about this.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Best,
Jose

Derek Jansen

Jan 8, 2015, 2:25:26 PM1/8/15
to appfog...@googlegroups.com
You are correct about the `manifest.yaml` file. During the `push` process the last question is if you want to save your file configuration. If you said yes, then that YAML file was created with your application settings and put into your app. When you pull the app back down, you can edit those settings.

You are also correct about how the platform determines the type of app you're pushing. It looks at the pattern of the contents and makes a suggestion, but you can change that during the `push` process and by updating the `applications.name` key in the manifest.