Hosting for BuildServer

Diego Barreiro

Aug 19, 2017, 6:10:14 PM8/19/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Is there any free option to host a BuildServer?
In Makeroid, we are currently hosting it on a paid VPS inside AmazonWebService EC2 infrastructure, but we would wonder if we can host it on GAE or Heroku or whatever other free service to reduce costs
Thanks in advance for the reply

Jos Flores

Aug 20, 2017, 4:45:41 AM8/20/17
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
None that I know of, as the build server is quite intensive, and as
you grow in users, you'll probably need several running in parallel.
No free offerings will be able to handle the load in their free tier.
Also, think that, depending on the services you want to provide your
users with, you will not only need CPU time, but also a lot of storage
for apk files, and then some more storage for backups.

If you have filed as a company, you might get some kind of credits or
grants to pay for servers, but other than that, or running your own
office network (a beefy network connection and a cheap server box), I
don't see a way around it. Happy to hear other's experiences.

cheers,
José

On 19 August 2017 at 23:10, Diego Barreiro

Diego Barreiro

Aug 28, 2017, 7:57:17 AM8/28/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Now, in Makeroid, we are running the BuildServer under a Smart VPS of ArubaCloud infrastructure
They have the cheapest VPS I know, and they are quite good and customizable
2 months for free, then 1$ per month for 1Gb of RAM, 20Gb of SSD and 1vCPU, there are more options too, but that I think is enough

Hope this helps anyone who wants to run a production BuildServer

Jos Flores

Aug 28, 2017, 8:23:13 AM8/28/17
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Thanks for the info, Diego. It sure will be helpful! :)

cheers,
José

On 28 August 2017 at 12:57, Diego Barreiro

Ravi kumar

Sep 4, 2017, 4:15:24 AM9/4/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi..
I am trying to build server in arubacloud.
I think it need 32 bit linux machine, so in the os selection which os is suitable

CentOS 6.x 32bit - Web Server LAMP
or
CentOS 6.x 32bit

please give me sugestion.
Thank you

Jos Flores

Sep 4, 2017, 5:00:13 AM9/4/17
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi there,

you need some Java 32bit compatibility packages, but you can install
them on a 64bit machine.
The instructions are tailored for distros that use apt packages, so I
would recommend either Ubuntu or Debian 64bit with the appropriate
packages. It should be possible to use other distributions, but you
may need to do a bit of digging on how to install the compatibility
packages.

cheers,
José

Moliata

Sep 4, 2017, 10:12:30 AM9/4/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
If I am right, 2nd option. First option is more for hosting a website, because LAMP Web Server is L Apache + MySQL + PHP

Moliata

Sep 4, 2017, 10:14:00 AM9/4/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Also L stands for Linux

Diego Barreiro

Sep 4, 2017, 3:11:33 PM9/4/17
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
CentOS and Debian or Ubuntu are both based on Linux, but CentOS has been modified to suit non-GUI workspaces and consequently to host any type of server, so that's why is preferred it for hosting. It's more light and faster than Debian
However, any Linux distro is suitable for servers

IMO, I prefer to use CentOS in servers, but I've used too Debian, Ubuntu, Arch...
To host the BuildServer, as it has been said, it's preferred to use Debian or Ubuntu due to their package manager (aptitude) instead of CentOS (yum). Also, for getting started I would highly recommend Debian as it's easier to use

Ravi kumar

Sep 6, 2017, 3:01:50 AM9/6/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
thank you sir. I will try Debian.