Troubles with .aia files in AI2

Mike Owen

Feb 2, 2016, 9:35:05 AM2/2/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I recently started attending a local Home-School Science club for Middle and High School students with the intent of getting some interested in using App Inventor 2 as a precursor to more advanced materials. I’m a retired CS teacher and thought that this would be a good way to stay involved.
I have used both of your textbooks AI1 and AI2 in the past with success, but thought it best to start these kids with the on-line tutorials to get them started.
Unfortunately, I immediately ran into a problem with downloading and importing the IHaveADream.aia file using the button on the main page.

The file did successfully download, but was then recognized as an Adobe Illustrator Action file by my system.

When I tried to import the .aia file from my desktop I received the following error.

Have tried this on several different computers with the same result.
When I go into the Web Sites "Book Mode", and click the link to the gallery

It does work, and opens in App Inventor 2.

I do, however, wonder if something might be broken with regard to .aia files. After loading the app into AI2 using the above link, I exported it to my computer, deleted the project, and attempted to reload the saved .aia file, and received the same error.

Have attempted same tests on systems running Windows 7 and Windows 10

Thanks for any help.
Michael Owen

Jos Flores

Feb 2, 2016, 10:03:42 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi Mike,

it seems that the file is corrupted in some way. I cannot import it either, or even uncompress it and look what might be wrong. You may want to contact the author; there isn't much we can do here.

cheers,
José

Mike Owen

Feb 2, 2016, 10:49:51 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com

Since it's a download from the MIT tutorials website I contacted them first. They sent me here for help.
Oops, guess their mistakes are public now.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "App Inventor Open Source Development" group.

Jos Flores

Feb 2, 2016, 11:03:44 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
That button does not look like the MIT tutorials website. Did you get it from here? http://www.appinventor.org/content/ai2apps/simpleApps/dream

appinventor.org is the fantastic work of Dave Wolber and his team at USF: http://www.appinventor.org/about/team

cheers,
José

Mike Owen

Feb 2, 2016, 11:08:39 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1

Jos Flores

Feb 2, 2016, 11:17:52 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
So yes, that is appinventor.org

It is not the MIT site (http://appinventor.mit.edu/).

Dave Wolber is and has been a long time contributor to the project, but appinventor.org is his work, for his book and to host other great teaching materials he freely shares with other teachers.

cheers,
José

Mike Owen

Feb 2, 2016, 11:23:29 AM2/2/16
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com

Oops, My bad. Any way to contact him to report the problem?

Mark Sherman

Feb 2, 2016, 8:35:57 PM2/2/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development

Hal Abelson

Feb 2, 2016, 8:38:26 PM2/2/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development, David W Wolber

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:35:57 PM UTC-5, Mark Sherman wrote:

Dave,

It looks like the aia file for I have a Dream is corrupted.   Several people on the open source forum (and I, too) can't load it into App Inventor.

http://www.appinventor.org/content/ai2apps/simpleApps/dream

== Hal