WiFi Direct Component for IoT

Neil Calabroso

May 23, 2015, 3:27:22 PM5/23/15
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi! We have developed a new component under connectivity for MIT AI2 - WiFi Direct P2P. We utilized the recently WiFi P2P API released by Google to provide connection to multiple devices using the WiFi Channel. We're currently testing this new component and the potential applications that can be made out of this proposed contribution. Also, we're going to write a research paper for more information about this project. I'm posting here to hear about your thoughts about this proposed new component. You can check our forked version here to see the prototype (note that we're currently working in wifidirect-final branch).

Any ideas and suggestions would really help us in improving this project. Thank you so much.

Jos Flores

May 24, 2015, 7:14:47 AM5/24/15
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi Neil, this sounds really good. Are you guys handling devices under
4.0? I suppose there's no compatibility options to make this work on
older devices, right? As long as they are handled gracefully, it
shouldn't be much of an issue.

Will you guys make a server and Companion available at some point for
people to play with?

cheers,
José
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Neil Calabroso

May 24, 2015, 7:49:24 AM5/24/15
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
So far, we have not considered the devices under 4.0. But thanks for pointing that out, we're going to handle that case soon. Any pointers on how to do this? I saw the implementation of Bluetooth component which uses reflection in handling unsupported devices. However, I'm not really familiar with this technique, could you suggest anything else that might help?

We're looking for a server right now to be our staging environment. I will update this thread as soon as possible. Thank you, Jos.

Jos Flores

May 24, 2015, 9:48:09 AM5/24/15
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi Neil, there's a document about how to support older devices here:
http://appinventor.mit.edu/appinventor-sources/#documentation
The link is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O_tfAeObQlfCcZRGlbXmLJY7iwgMkpR7IF9g3cvgVog/pub

The main idea is that an unsupported device will simply notify the
user that the functionality is not available, but the way you include
the code makes sure that those unsupported devices do not crash by
trying to access API methods that do not exist (both at compile and
runtime).

cheers,
José
>> > email to app-inventor-open-so...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To post to this group, send email to
>> > app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Mark Friedman

May 26, 2015, 8:16:44 PM5/26/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
A couple of thoughts.

It looks like the WifiDirectP2P component includes VOIP-like functionality.  It seems to me that you could pull that out into a separate component.

It also might be interesting to develop an higher-level P2P component that used either Wifi Direct or something like the Google Play Games Nearby Connection API, depending on what version of Android the device is running.  I don't think that it would support voice but it could provide convenient  lower bandwdith P2P messages, notably text.

-Mark

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Neil Calabroso <nmcal...@up.edu.ph> wrote:
Hi! We have developed a new component under connectivity for MIT AI2 - WiFi Direct P2P. We utilized the recently WiFi P2P API released by Google to provide connection to multiple devices using the WiFi Channel. We're currently testing this new component and the potential applications that can be made out of this proposed contribution. Also, we're going to write a research paper for more information about this project. I'm posting here to hear about your thoughts about this proposed new component. You can check our forked version here to see the prototype (note that we're currently working in wifidirect-final branch).

Any ideas and suggestions would really help us in improving this project. Thank you so much.

Neil Calabroso

May 28, 2015, 8:48:06 AM5/28/15
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark! Yes, VoIP can be done using WiFi-Direct. But the technology/API alone doesn't provide that. To make this VoIP and plain text communication possible, we implemented application layer protocols to send IP Addresses of each peer to every device in the network. Of course, we masked this VoIP feature in a function called CallPeer and it's inside the proposed component - not a separate one. Is that okay? Any suggestions might help.

The current implemented version allows devices to:
1. Discover devices around ~200m
2. Form a group (network) by connecting to a device
3. Invite other device to join the current group
4. Send message (String) to any peer in the group
5. Broadcast message to all peers
6. Call a peer (over UDP)

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:16:44 AM UTC+8, Mark Friedman wrote:
[...]

Neil Calabroso

May 28, 2015, 8:52:11 AM5/28/15
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, José. I will try to work on this after the semester.

As an update regarding the server: I wasn't able to get one. I'm still finding ways.
>> > To post to this group, send email to
>> > app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Mark Friedman

May 28, 2015, 12:51:09 PM5/28/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I think that the calling functionality should probably be pulled out into a different component, maybe even integrated into the existing PhoneCall component.

-Mark

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Gil Almogy

Nov 16, 2015, 3:30:58 PM11/16/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi Neil!

how can we use the WiFi Direct components in App Inventor ?

thanks,
Gil.
Message has been deleted