New mrSoundRecorder Component Proposal

Gareth Haylings

Aug 27, 2014, 11:28:26 AM8/27/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've created a new more powerful SoundRecord component which has a number of new features including:
  • Record sound to a file from the mic as a WAV file
  • Return the sound level value picked up from the mic
  • Direct the sound from the mic to the speaker in realtime & add live sound effect including echo and pitch effects
I am possibly going to split the new component into 3 seperate components but haven't really decided whether or not to do this at present as I'm still playing around with the component even though I have completed the work on the component

This new component solves a few issues I found with the current MIT sound component.The only issue from MIT's point of view about this component is that it needs the minSDK set to 9 for it to work

If all goes well I should have an appspot up by the end of either next weekor the week after with this component and a few other thing I have been working on included (Probably just tempted faint)

Here is a link to my help document for my new mrSoundRecorder component. Please leave comments https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrH9HDLLoaHiIi8F7kzGH0YJr78yFp03cU20KI_Am1c/edit?usp=sharing

About a month ago I made a post mentioning I was working on the component for the robotic ball Sphero which is now complete. Even though I completed the work on the Sphero component about 2 weeks ago I didn't want to release my appspot for just Sphero component without this new SoundRecorder component include as I have some really cool demo projects planned which will show off both of the 2 components working in conjunction with each other.

Gareth Haylings

Aug 29, 2014, 5:23:33 PM8/29/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have now finished my new mrSoundRecorder component but before releasing the Appspot for testing I have made a sample APK from my version of AI to demonstrate a new components features and was wandering if anybody would like to test it for me.

Screen shot of app:

App instructions:

Speaker button - Switches on the mic. Send the sound direct;y from the mic to the speaker. When this is on you can play with speaker settings and sound effect.

Record button - Switches on mic. Record the sound from the mic to the a wav file. To stop recording press the record button again. The record file name is shown at the bottom of the screen. press the play button to play the recorded file.

Mic Button - switch on/off the mic. Switch of the mic will also switch off the recording and mic to speaker function. When the mic is on the the sound level picked up from the mic will be displayed.

Know issues:-

  • When recording and the speaker is on the sound on from the speaker may start to break up a bit

If you do try the app let me know if there is any other issue or if the app works as described above.
mrSoundRecorder_Demo.apk

Hal Abelson

Aug 29, 2014, 5:54:19 PM8/29/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
I tried this but I could not hear any playback.

I pressed MIC and RECORD, and the app said it was recording and showed a file name.  But when I pressed PLAY, nothing played.  The file name is
/storage/emulated/0/My Documents/Recordings/20140828174759.wav
That doesn't seem correct (at least not for my phone)

Gareth Haylings

Aug 29, 2014, 6:12:24 PM8/29/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hal

Thanks for test the app

What phone are you using?
Does it have and SD card or not? (This shouldn't make any difference but I just want to check)

The file should be getting stored in the same location as it does when you standard MIT SourceRecorder component.

The play isn't part of the component, it's just a sound component I added to the app is used to check the file will play. Not sure why it isn't for you. Can you have a go at the follow to check the file exists and can play.
 If you quit the app and open the file manager on you android device and navigate to the My Documents/Recordings folder and try playing the 20140828174759.wav in a standard android player. The file should play.

Oh yes sorry just remembered keep you finger held down on the play button. I used the touchDown event on the button to start play the file and the touchUp event to stop playing sorry.

Gareth Haylings

Aug 29, 2014, 6:16:02 PM8/29/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hal

Oh yes sorry just remembered something

The Play button uses the TouchDown and Touchup events.

To play the file keep your finger held down on the play button
To stop playing the file release the play button.

Let me know if this works for you

Hal Abelson

Aug 29, 2014, 6:19:42 PM8/29/14
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I'm using a Nexus 4 with OS version 4.4.4.

The file is indeed in My Documents/Recordings

To access it from App Inventor, on my phone, at least, you'd use file:///sdcard/...

I can play it if I transfer it to my computer.   By the way, the extension is .3gp, not .wav.   Did you mean to do that?

gareth.haylings

Aug 29, 2014, 6:48:25 PM8/29/14
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
Yes I meant to use the WAV format in my component were as the MIT soundRecorder saves the file in 3gp formats. Instead of using the mediaRecord  I use the AudioRecorder meaning it saves the file as a raw PCM file which I then I convert it to a WAV file by adding header information to the PCM file. It was quite difficult but I managed to figure out how to do the. Due to the features I wanted to add such as mic to speaker plus recording similtaneously I had no other option than to record the file as a PCM then convert it to a WAV format.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Aug 23, 2015, 12:03:38 AM8/23/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Can you post the .aia file it will help my knowledge. thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to app-inventor-open-source-dev+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

JakesDen Gaming

Dec 2, 2015, 1:46:46 PM12/2/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I would LOVE the aix for it and mabey the source code :) !

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.