How many ports is App Inventor using?

Moliata

Aug 14, 2017, 4:23:37 PM8/14/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello! I have a question, how many different ports does App Inventor use?
Currently I know these ports:
Main Server - 8888
Build Server - 9900
Rendezvous Server - 8004
Thank you for the help...
****
If possible, please provide which port & who are using it.

Diego Barreiro

Aug 16, 2017, 7:09:56 PM8/16/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Why do you need to know that?
Also, that ports aren't fixed as you can set your own ports, so doesn't make sense to know which one are them...
And it depends also if you set it for production or for developing

Diego Barreiro

Aug 16, 2017, 7:12:32 PM8/16/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Why do you need to know that?
Ports can be changed by user decision, so doesn't make sense to know which port are there...
Also, it depends also if it's set for development or production

Moliata

Aug 17, 2017, 1:45:11 AM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I know there could be different ports, but my question was not why I am asking it. I want to know how many different ports is App Inventor using & for what. Plus, I am talking about default ports.

Moliata

Aug 17, 2017, 1:45:43 AM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
By the way, I asking about Production server.

Evan Patton

Aug 17, 2017, 9:33:11 AM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Production is complicated and ends up being what you want to define. We use a lot of tricks in our infrastructure at the production level to address load balancing of services, etc. Regarding what you would need to run it in a local environment, the default ports are:

8001 - Companion app HTTP server
8004 - aiStarter HTTP server
8080 - Rendezvous service (although by default everything points at rendezvous.appinventor.mit.edu)
8888 - App Engine dev server (uploading to App Engine will run it on port 80)
9990 - Buildserver
11211 - memcache (only needed for rendezvous server, not accessed from elsewhere)

Moliata

Aug 17, 2017, 10:13:05 AM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Thank you for the info. But isn't rendezvous actually used for Companion? Why there is 8001 and 8080?

Evan Patton

Aug 17, 2017, 10:38:33 AM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
The rendezvous server is only used to communicate the device's IP address to the web browser running the App Inventor session. Once the web browser has the IP address, it makes requests directly to the device on port 8001. This is why your device and the computer running the web session need to be able to route to one another (e.g., be on the same network). You can use the developer tools in your browser to see the network requests that go back and forth to see this in action.

Evan

Moliata

Aug 17, 2017, 2:35:25 PM8/17/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development