Run AI2 on AppScale

Francesco Montefoschi

Nov 23, 2015, 5:26:32 AM11/23/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello,

is anyone running App Inventor 2 on AppScale?

I tried the the latest AI2 master over AppScale 2.5 (deployed over a single VirtualBox vm) but I failed:

HTTP ERROR: 404

Problem accessing /. Reason:

    NOT_FOUND

Powered by Jetty://

I tried this, but did not help. Which GAE SDK version does App Inventor require? AppScale implements SDK v 1.8

In /var/log/appscale/app___appinventor-20000.log there is this error:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.appengine.api.appidentity.AppIdentityService.getDefaultGcsBucketName()Ljava/lang/String;
at com.google.appinventor.server.storage.ObjectifyStorageIo.<clinit>(ObjectifyStorageIo.java:183)

Thank you,
Francesco

Jos Flores

Nov 23, 2015, 6:37:51 AM11/23/15
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi Francesco,

I don't know much about appscale; they did some work on AI a while
back (one of their engineers was at one of our summits), but not sure
it was ever finished.

1.8 sounds a bit old, given that the current app engine runs on 1.9.28
or 1.9.29 or similar. For local development there is an issue with
1.9.28 (latest public release) so it's better to stick with 1.9.27 at
least for now.

The GCS bucket stuff is how storage works now; Google disabled the
Files API back in September (as off 1.9.19
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/deprecations/files_api), so we
needed to move on to the new storage API.
If appscale are still on 1.8, then file storage will not work (that
means, projects will not get saved, which means no functionality,
pretty much).

You could go back in the git tree and grab the code before the change,
but I wouldn't recommend that, really.

cheers,
José

On 23 November 2015 at 10:26, Francesco Montefoschi