type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved

Jan Rooth

Jul 19, 2016, 5:12:47 PM7/19/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I updated my JRE version to the latest (1.8.0_101) and discovered this breaks login. When I go to http://127.0.0.1:8888 I get the following:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /login/. Reason:

    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:

Caused by:

java.io.IOException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the generated java file
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Stacktrace:
	at com.google.appinventor.server.LoginServlet.doGet(LoginServlet.java:195)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
	at com.google.appengine.tools.appstats.AppstatsFilter.doFilter(AppstatsFilter.java:142)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)

... (and so on)

--------------------------

Reverting to my older JRE makes the problem go away.

Has anyone seen this and found a better solution?

Jos Flores

Jul 19, 2016, 5:43:04 PM7/19/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev

Hi Jan,

Yes, this has been reported with updates of the JDK. I don't think anyone's looked into it yet, but if you can leave your JDK version and platform you are working on as a comment in this thread, that would be great: https://github.com/mit-cml/appinventor-sources/issues/814

Jeffrey Schiller

Jul 19, 2016, 10:28:25 PM7/19/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Keep in mind that when you run the development server you are operating in a special environment that emulates the environment that exists in App Engine itself. Given that App Engine does not yet support Java 8, it isn't surprising that we get errors like this. This looks to me like an incompatibility between the restrictions that the development server puts in place and Java 8.

-Jeff

Jan Rooth

Jul 20, 2016, 1:31:42 PM7/20/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development

Thanks guys, I figured it might be something like that. I saw the note about using 7 rather than 8 when I first set things up, but since I was already using 8 for something else I figured I'd give it a try. Worked fine up until the other day. :)

I'm  running 1.8.0_77 with no problem. I'm going to try upgrading to 91 and if that works 92 to see when it breaks. I'll post my results in that thread.