Cannot start local App Inventor (OS X, Ant 1.9.2, Java 1.8)

Arne Mailand

Oct 3, 2016, 2:20:33 PM10/3/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi,

I am trying to build the AI2 on my local machine according to this instructions:

Right now, I am at the step with this command:

/Users/kirikiri3/Downloads/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.27/bin/dev_appserver.sh --port=8888 --address=0.0.0.0 /Users/kirikiri3/Documents/mai/appengine/build/war/ > serverlog.out &

And I get this output:

[2] 14546

[1]   Exit 127                /Users/kirikiri3/Downloads/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.27/bindev_appserver.sh --port=8888 --address=0.0.0.0 /Users/kirikiri3/Documents/mai/appengine/build/war/ > serverlog.out

kirikiri3s-macbook-pro:~ kirikiri3$ dev_appserver.sh should ideally be run using Java 7 (also known as 1.7).

The java executable at /usr/bin/java reports:

java version "1.8.0_101"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Running a more recent version of Java can lead to apps that are apparently

correct but do not work when uploaded to App Engine.

You can download JDK 7 from:

  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

Usage: <dev-appserver> [options] <app directory>

 --help, -h                 Show this help message and exit.

 --sdk_root=DIR             Overrides where the SDK is located.

 --server=SERVER            The server to use to determine the latest

  -s SERVER                   SDK version.

 --address=ADDRESS          The address of the interface on the local machine

  -a ADDRESS                  to bind to (or 0.0.0.0 for all interfaces).

 --port=PORT                The port number to bind to on the local machine.

  -p PORT

 --disable_update_check     Disable the check for newer SDK versions.

 --generated_dir=DIR        Set the directory where generated files are created.

 --default_gcs_bucket=NAME  Set the default Google Cloud Storage bucket name.

 --jvm_flag=FLAG            Pass FLAG as a JVM argument. May be repeated to

                              supply multiple flags.

And nothing else happens. Neither localhost:8888 nor 0.0.0.0:8888 reachable by browser. Any ideas how to fix this?

Jos Flores

Oct 3, 2016, 3:15:50 PM10/3/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
If dev_Appserver.sh is showing you options it is because the ones you
are using are not correct (you can safely ignore the Java 7 warning).
Make sure the build/war folder you are passing in is correct. I am
guessing that is where you compiled AI, right?

you can also skip the last part, the '> serverlog.out' so you can see
the output directly in the terminal.

cheers,
José
> --
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Arne Mailand

Oct 3, 2016, 3:29:01 PM10/3/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Well if you mean this path

/Users/kirikiri3/Documents/mai/appengine/build/war/

Yes, this is the correct path to my AI sources (all the other stuff is in /Users/kirikiri3/Documents/mai/appinventor/...)

I can remove the last path of the command ('> serverlog.out') but this does not change the output.

I am working in terminal all the time. What do you mean, I am not using the right options?

Jos Flores

Oct 3, 2016, 4:01:30 PM10/3/16
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
I mean the options that you pass to the dev_appserver.sh script. It
seems like there is something wrong in there.

Is the path /Users/kirikiri3/Documents/mai/appengine/build/war/ correct?
It depends on how you extracted the sources when you dowloaded them.
If you are using git, by default you would have an 'appinventor'
folder in there, something like
/Users/kirikiri3/Documents//mai/appinventor/appengine/build/war/, but
it may not be the case if you have downloaded it as a zip file.

When I start up my server, I do get the Java 7 warning (I am also
using Java 8), but I do not get the 'usage' and 'options' lines, which
are basically a way for the script to tell you that you are passing
options it cannot understand.

cheers,
José
>> > email to app-inventor-open-so...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To post to this group, send email to
>> > app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at
>> > https://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Arne Mailand

Oct 4, 2016, 11:07:54 AM10/4/16
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Okay thanks José, I will do further investigations at a later point and report the results.