Import extension failed when uploading: cannot find any clues why

Jose Luu

Apr 29, 2018, 3:13:41 PM4/29/18
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi Guys,

I have been stuck for a few days with this error, it happens on the mit server and on a local server AI2U4364. I have set the log4j trace level to ALL and FINEST and cannot gather any evidence why it is behaving differently than other extensions I have made.

The only difference is that said extension is quite big i.e. larger than 10MB, however, on a local server and uploading, as I understand this should not matter.

Here are the traces I got from which I cannot find any clues.

I welcome any suggestion.

Thanks

Jose

Farzeen Harunani

Apr 30, 2018, 1:59:52 PM4/30/18
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi,
Do you have any more details you could provide?
Thanks!
Farzeen

Jose Luu

May 2, 2018, 1:16:31 PM5/2/18
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Found it:  my extension was simply too big, now I have no way of making it smaller as most of the space is used by a library that I *have* to use.

I have found 2 places in the code where there are explicit size limitations, removing the size checks allows the extension to import and the apk to be generated.
9MB when importing, but I think this is the unzipped size:
FileImporterImpl.java line 182 and line 50

when generating the .apk
YoungAndroidProjectService.java line 722

Once these are modified, everything works as expected.

I am planning to submit 2 pull requests:
- more informative messages when the size limit is hit
- up the limits by a big margin.

Jose

Jose Dominguez

May 2, 2018, 2:17:26 PM5/2/18
to app-inventor-open-source-dev
Hi there,

it is great that you found the cause. Just to mention, the limits are there for a reason (timeouts in App Engine). It would be fantastic to have more informative messages about size limits, as you mention, but for the second part, please do test the new limits deploying to App Engine before opening a pull request. It would make reviewing a lot easier.

cheers,
José

Jose Luu

May 2, 2018, 3:15:31 PM5/2/18
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Thanks for the comment,  do you know if there a way to test if we are running on an actual Google App Engine ?  we could make the limitations kick-in only in this case.

cheers,
José

Jose Dominguez

May 2, 2018, 4:43:41 PM5/2/18
to app-inventor-open-source-dev

cheers,
José

cheers,
José

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/app-inventor-open-source-dev.

Jose Luu

May 24, 2018, 11:23:46 AM5/24/18
to App Inventor Open Source Development
For the record, there is currently a 10MB hardlimit on how much can be sent using a POST request (this is how the zip file is transmitted to the builder), limits are here (see Current limitations, URL Fetch POST size):

This triggers in YoungAndroidProjectService.build either an IOException or a RuntimeException (the later exception of one configures  <url-stream-handler>native</url-stream-handler> in appengine-web.xml)

still searching to get rid of this in local mode.

Best
Jose