infrared sensor

Jose .Reyes

Nov 12, 2015, 12:15:35 PM11/12/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello Everyone,

I have been an active user of AI2 for a few years now, and am currently taking the App Inventor course on EDX.

Long story short, the other day I lost my TV's remote and this lead me to finally use the IR transmitter on my Galaxy S4.

The app wanted to know everything about be, even certain information that I don't think a TV remote app should know.

Instantly, I said I will just build my own app on AI2 and be done with it, but to my surprise I didn't see an IR component in the palette drawer.

I don't have a lot of experience developing in java, none the less Android. Most of my experience is mostly in C and some C++.

Still I would like to help in developing an IR component if possible.

Thank you for your time.

Hal Abelson

Nov 12, 2015, 9:02:07 PM11/12/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Jesse,

It would be great if you could implement an IR component.  thanks for offering.

See the documentation on how to add a component

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xk9dMfczvjbbwD-wMsr-ffqkTlE3ga0ocCE1KOb2wvw/edit#heading=h.371ohxts9gii

and make something that you can experiment with in a few apps.   This tutorial might help:

http://devtrigger.blogspot.it/2014/05/android-infrared-ir-transmitter-code.html

Note that we like to support devices back to Gingerbread.

Once you get this working, you might also like to publish it as an extension.

== Hal

bud furnace

Nov 14, 2015, 12:39:11 AM11/14/15
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Awesome, i have wondered the same, so much add ware and information i did not want to give. The Best ideas are born out of necessity. even if that is simply not wanting to get off the couch to change channels. :)