Questions to respected professionals

Александр Страшко

Oct 12, 2017, 2:44:29 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello

I decided to collect a few questions in one topic, so as not to take up space on the forum.

1) Is it planned to add a block for multi-line text input in App Inventor?  It would be convenient sometimes to use it instead of text files.

2) Can I access the component without having to add it to the blocks list of pairs, something like Screen1.Button1 or Screen1.controls[4] how it can be done in text programming?

3) Moliata wrote that can create extensions or components.  To create a new component, for example, ToggleButton, need to deploy App Inventor on my server?
I do not understand how I can create component so that it can be dragged to the designer as build-in component Button, for example. Where can find information about this?

Moliata

Oct 12, 2017, 7:19:04 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hey,
I would like to help with the third question. If you are making a component (not extension), you can make a visible component. Just instead of extending AndroidNonvisibleComponent, extend AndroidViewComponent and make sure to set @SimpleComponent(nonVisible = false). Afterwards make a MockComponentName.java near other Mock Files. Afterwards, make sure to point SimpleComponentDescripto to your mock file. For easier process use ComponentCreator.py scropt at appinventor/misc/componentcreator/
Regards, Ben.

Moliata

Oct 12, 2017, 7:21:44 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Also, with the second question, no you can't, at least currently.
P.S: Ewan, can help with the first question.

Александр Страшко

Oct 12, 2017, 8:20:44 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Thanks Ben for the answers!

Evan Patton

Oct 12, 2017, 8:49:15 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello Александр,

1) This is not a planned feature at this time. We mostly use the default field types provided by Google's Blockly library, so if they add multiline text fields in the future we would pick that up then.

2) There is a typeblocking mechanism for quickly typing some text and getting the blocks equivalent. All components are at the "global" scope, i.e. there isn't any nesting mechanism like you seem to be suggesting.

3) See Ben's answer regarding components/extensions. You do not need to host your own server if you are building extensions, but if you want to make components that work in the designer the only way to do that currently is to run your own version of App Inventor.

Cheers,
Evan

Александр Страшко

Oct 12, 2017, 9:27:40 AM10/12/17
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello Evan,

Thank you for your responses.  Every time I learn new and interesting about App Inventor.

I somehow went to code.org (these are blocks for children) and saw there blocks with multi-line input, shifting the line by Shift + Enter.  And I liked it.

Alex