Page Localisation

Kris Wolff

Jun 18, 2015, 3:56:37 AM6/18/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

sorry if this ia a repost.

I build a new company page on top of the wonderful apostrophe. Everything works pretty well. if you want to take a look, visit http://www.ausdertechnik.de
Well, the Page is in german only, but we noticed that more than 60% from our costumes comes from USA and Canada. The page is pretty useless in german only.

I had a long discussion with our marketing. We talked about all the different aspects and possibilities to translate the page. What we really need is a way to translate the content elements without creating a new page. The structure must remain for all languages. This is Structure vs Content, while the structure is the and has to be the same for all pages, but the content (text and images) can be different.

Is there is any possibility to implement this behaviour?
How to resolve the different Problems (Language switch, edit different languages of one page, etc).

Hope that there is a need for by you other guys, too.

Thanks a lot,
Kris

signature.asc

Tom Boutell

Jun 18, 2015, 9:15:52 AM6/18/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kris, I have to do this soon for one of our own projects. Simplest tactic is to make the culture code part of each area name. That does not give you translation of URLs or titles, but I have ideas on that too.

A more official solution will eventually arrive in 0.6.

Danny Povolotski

Jun 18, 2015, 10:46:46 AM6/18/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Just to throw in some input, our sites are often developed localized, and we have found that the best solution for us almost ends up being having separate pages for each language, linked by some sort of mechanism (where you can manage, and redirect to the other language easier). This solves problems with slugs, titles, e.t.c

Also, sometimes different cultures warrant whole different sections of your content to vary, not as rarely as you'd think.

So - just throwing in those observations for your enterprising mind to chew on ;)

Best Regards,
Danny

Tom Boutell

Jun 18, 2015, 12:30:49 PM6/18/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm thinking about the same stuff Danny. But we do have projects where "the page content, title and slug vary by language, but there is a one to one relationship" is the rule, so that seems like a pretty useful case.

THOMAS BOUTELL, DEV & OPS
P'UNK AVENUE | (215) 755-1330  |  punkave.com

Kris Wolff

Jun 22, 2015, 5:43:55 AM6/22/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom

do i understand that correctly, that my

{{ aposArea(content, 'body') }}

could be

{{ aposArea(content, 'body'+ language_code ) }}
signature.asc

Tom Boutell

Jun 22, 2015, 7:06:11 AM6/22/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com

Sure. Up to you to get language code into the template, usually via middleware that pops it into req.data. bear in mind I'll probably be doing this myself this week and that may result in a nice module for it.

Kris Wolff

Jun 22, 2015, 9:18:28 AM6/22/15
to apostr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Tom. U'r awesome!

I'll give them a try this week. And will understand the schema to transfer all content ;.)
signature.asc