API Craft Conference 2014

landlessness

Jan 29, 2014, 7:17:41 PM1/29/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com

The planning is complete, the down payments have been made and today we are delighted to announce:

API Craft Conference 2014
http://api-craft.org

Please join us six months from now for a two-day, three-night open space conference led by us, the API Craft community. We will have lots of discussion, lots of drink, lots of food and lots of yacht (party boat ftw).

Together at this year's conference, we will continue to answer the question:
Where do we lead the APIs of tomorrow?

As a community, we have the knowledge and experience to set the course for API best practices. Our diverse backgrounds and opinions will come together as we meet face-to-face to push forward the art of APIs.

  • Where will APIs fit in the Internet of Things?
  • How do we improve the API design to app development lifecycle?
  • How do we get large organizations to create APIs better and faster?
  • How will hypermedia progress in the coming years?
  • How great are API yacht parties?

People: API Craftsmen and Craftswomen
Format: Open Space Technology (a highly participatory process which has been successfully employed all over the world)
Spots: 100
Rules: No Corporate Logos, No Pitches. Represent Thyself, Not Thycompany
Cost: $175

What will happen?

  • Each attendee's topics will be raised, if the attendee takes responsibility to raise them.
  • All issues will receive full discussion to the extent desired.
  • A full report of issues and discussions will be available to all participants.

That’s a promise. How will you impact the future? Register Today! We look forward to a fantastic conference.

API Craft Conference 2014
Monday, July 28th to Wednesday, July 30th 2014
Detroit MI USA
http://api-craft.org

mca

Jan 29, 2014, 9:01:15 PM1/29/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I thoroughly enjoyed this event last year and have added it to my calendar. With a limit of 100, I'm predicting this one fills up soon.

Thanks to Brian, et al for doing this. Hope to see you in July.

Jerome Louvel

Jan 30, 2014, 1:01:17 AM1/30/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian for launching this second edition. Got my ticket, happy to come back as well !

Honza Javorek

Jan 30, 2014, 9:14:09 AM1/30/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Brian, this sounds great! Unfortunately, it's quite a uneasy for me to get to Detroit, so I'd like to ask - will you shoot videos of presentations? Will there be a way to pay for them and see them online later on? Good luck with preparations,

Honza

Brian Mulloy

Jan 30, 2014, 10:50:46 AM1/30/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza,

We wish you could make it to the 2014 event.

Last year, we decided to not broadcast or record the sessions. We did revisit that decision briefly for 2014, but still feel it is the right approach for an open space conference.

Session organizers will post the proceedings on GitHub for 2014 just as they did for 2013: https://github.com/apicraft/detroit2013/wiki

-b

PS Thanks, Jerome & Mike, for leading the way on the 2014 conference!

Ted M. Young [@jitterted]

Jan 30, 2014, 7:40:34 PM1/30/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to the 2014 edition of this, last year was really useful to me.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I wonder if it'd be possible to add a Hypermedia Hackathon day to Monday (or Thursday)?

;ted

landlessness

Jan 30, 2014, 11:21:33 PM1/30/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
yes. brilliant idea. we'll make it happen.

we'll post an event proposal in the next day or so.

Glenn Block

Jan 31, 2014, 9:34:22 AM1/31/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I am planning to be there! Thanks for the heads up!

MatthewReinbold

Jan 31, 2014, 11:54:55 AM1/31/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
In like Flynn. Certainly one of the easier conference decisions I have to make this year. Looking forward to it!

landlessness

Feb 3, 2014, 5:18:59 PM2/3/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a quick update on the hypermedia event for the API Craft Conference. We picked a day/time and reserved an event space.

When: Monday July 28th, 2014 1pm to 7pm

Additional thoughts:

We are now working on the Who, What and How.

Unlike the open space sessions, we plan to live stream the hypermedia panel and record it for later distribution.

The Monday pre-party will happen as originally planned at 8pm just a few blocks walk from the hypermedia event.

We chose an afternoon start on Monday so that at least the people coming from the eastern and central time zones wouldn't need to book an additional hotel night.

Stay tuned for more developments.

Jørn Wildt

Feb 4, 2014, 11:11:08 AM2/4/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com

What is the timezone of the event?

/Jørn

Kijana Woodard

Feb 4, 2014, 11:22:05 AM2/4/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00)

Manfred Bortenschlager

Feb 12, 2014, 2:38:22 PM2/12/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Brian, anything planned for Europe?
London specifically?

Brian Mulloy

Feb 12, 2014, 3:56:24 PM2/12/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manfred,

Currently, we are only planning a conference in the US.

On a related note, we encourage all crafters to organize local meetups or conferences. We will help with wisdom (what little we have), tips, graphic assets, etc.

Here are examples of local meetups:

Stephen Rylander

Apr 11, 2014, 10:58:32 AM4/11/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
API Craft Chicago hasn't had an event in long time. I've tried reaching out to the meetup listed organizer again to get more going here in this market.  In the meantime, we at Morningstar may try to fill this void using our space.  I'd rather have co-events between Morningstar Tech Talks and API Craft Chicago though.

Stephen

landlessness

Apr 22, 2014, 6:44:33 PM4/22/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Because we added the hypermedia panel on Monday afternoon of the API Craft Conference, it's likely that many of us will arrive early for the event.

Some points of interest and events if you are in town the weekend ahead of time:

* Maker Faire Detroit: http://www.makerfairedetroit.com/

* Henry Ford Museum (Maker Faire venue): Tim O'Reilly called it "The Louvre of the Industrial Age" http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/07/louvre-industrial-age-henry-ford.html

* EPIC Wine Country: a dozen+ wineries just 18 miles from the event venue - http://www.epicwineries.com/ - Map of wineries: http://goo.gl/maps/BGNYJ

* Stand Up Paddleboard Festival - http://www.detroitsupfestival.com/

* Sleeping Bear Dunes - voted most beautiful place in America, 2011 - 4 hour drive - http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/best_places_USA/sleeping-bear-dunes-michigan-voted-good-morning-americas/story?id=14319616

Feel free hit me up if you'd like other idea while you are in town.

-b

Donald Pipowitch

Jun 6, 2014, 7:54:18 AM6/6/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Will you upload recordings of the sessions to YouTube this year? ♥

Kris Kleva

Jun 29, 2014, 10:37:55 PM6/29/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Whoa... I squeaked in there with only 16 tickets left.  +1 procrastination.

Attendees list is looking great.

Are drikin' craft beer on a Yatch?  Nice.

landlessness

Jul 15, 2014, 4:02:48 PM7/15/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
The API Craft Conference http://api-craft.org/ starts in two weeks. We are sold out. There is a waiting list.

Conference hashtag: #apicraft

We plan to live video stream the hypermedia panel which starts at 1pm Monday, July 28th. We will send out more details later. We will not stream any other sessions, but there will be tweeting on #apicraft.

If you are in Detroit prior to the start of the event there are plenty of cool things happening and we can help you find them.

Any questions or ideas, text me or call my google voice #: 313.718.1701

-Brian Mulloy

mehdi medjaoui

Jul 15, 2014, 4:33:00 PM7/15/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Will you open new tickets for the waiting list? or it will be just cancellations that will give new tickets?
Just to know for booking my flight already or not... (+ 1 procrastination, I've just registered on wlist)

Mehdi Medjaoui

Co-founder of Webshell.io,  OAuth.io and APIdays.io Conferences

Next conferences on APIs to attend  :
APIdays San Francisco June 13,14,15th
Talk APIs on APIscene.com
Trust APIs on APIratings.org
Hire API developers on API Jobs
Laugh about APIs on {"apis":"the joy"}

Brian Mulloy

Jul 15, 2014, 5:17:03 PM7/15/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mehdi,

Unfortunately, the waiting list is for cancellations. We won’t open up any more tickets.

-b

Kin Lane

Jul 15, 2014, 5:19:51 PM7/15/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm API blind, and Mehdi is my seeing API guy - I can't function without him present. ;-)