Slack Discussion Group

Cory Taylor

Jun 28, 2015, 1:17:22 PM6/28/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully this doesn't go against the guidelines, I'm not trying to spam or take anything away from this group.

Wondering what people thought of holding a supplementary discussion on slack? A number of groups have setup a slack group and it is working out well so far.

I have already created a channel (https://apicraft.slack.com) and would be willing to add existing moderators as owners.

Chris Mullins

Jun 28, 2015, 2:03:07 PM6/28/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure forking the discussion is a good idea, especially to a site that is likely not well indexed by common search engines. It's also not clear to me how linking, questions, and long-term durable / searchable discussions would work.

I understand Slack's desire to more traffic through their site, but in this case I don't think it's a good fit.

(I still miss Usenet, so you'll have to forgive me. Even using a Google Group makes me pine for the good-old-days on decentralized ownership and control...).

Cheers,
Chris

Kijana Woodard

Jun 28, 2015, 5:10:15 PM6/28/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Not interested in yet another walled garden.

Jun 28, 2015, 5:41:44 PM6/28/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
We do already have an #api-craft on freenode, if you like slack, but also like going old school.

David Biesack

Jun 29, 2015, 11:30:44 AM6/29/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Chris. I don't want yet-another forum to track... I don't see the benefit of forking. (We'll also get dual posts, which degrade both).
There is not a whole lot of traffic here, and most API Craft discussions don't need "chat speed" responses that IRC/Slack are good for.

I also find threading in Slack to be inferior to Google Groups.

Ronnie Mitra

Jul 3, 2015, 6:18:22 AM7/3/15
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I'd love to see a slack discussion group for APIs.  It's a great way to build a community experience and could help people who don't get to attend any of the API conferences and network in person.

There might be some overlap with this list, but I've found that the chat medium drives a different type of conversation.  Also, the fact that past conversations are harder to find changes the way people interact.

I've even tried to get a group off the ground but lacked the time to execute, so would love to see someone put the effort into experimenting with this.  For example, something along the lines of http://www.designerhangout.co/ would be great to be part of.

Ronnie