Need Real RESTfull hypermedia example

CottonWood

Apr 24, 2014, 10:23:29 AM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have been studying RESTfull and developing my first API and facing lot's of questions related to HATEOAS (hypermedia). Are there any real API which provide fully RESTfull API with hypermedia to study as an example?

Jørn Wildt

Apr 24, 2014, 10:59:37 AM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Well, there ain't many hypermedia driven public facing services yet. Amazon has started using HAL and it's service is documented here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/appstream/latest/developerguide/rest-api.html

Real examples can be hard to understand since they tend to include all sorts of very domain specific stuff that hides the hypermedia details. Try instead this demo of a hypermedia driven issue tracker at mason-issue-tracker.cbrain.net. It uses Mason (https://github.com/JornWildt/Mason) as the media type.

The issue tracker demo is a scaled down version of an internal hypermedia service we are running in my company and is thus close to be a real example with both reading, searching, writing and even file uploads. You can read more about the issue tracker example here https://github.com/JornWildt/Mason/wiki/Example-service%3A-issue-tracker and here http://soabits.blogspot.dk/2014/02/representing-issue-tracker-with-mason.html

The last example is not a real service but illustrate a few hypermedia details anyway: http://soabits.blogspot.dk/2014/03/modelling-shipment-example-as.html

/Jørn

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM, CottonWood <shamil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I have been studying RESTfull and developing my first API and facing lot's of questions related to HATEOAS (hypermedia). Are there any real API which provide fully RESTfull API with hypermedia to study as an example?

Jørn Wildt

Apr 24, 2014, 11:01:06 AM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, the issue tracker link should have been http://mason-issue-tracker.cbrain.net/resource-common

Kin Lane

Apr 24, 2014, 11:02:22 AM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm slowly building a list of leading examples in the space.

I will also be adding them to my research project soon - http://hypermedia.apievangelist.com/

Thanks - Kin
Message has been deleted

mca

Apr 24, 2014, 11:34:30 AM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
while it's not a real app, this Maze server[0] is an example of a pure read-only hypermedia type[1]. This server is written in C#. There is also a server & client written using NodeJS[2]

The example page (from 2011) includes pointers to other client apps built for it and even hosts a "bot" that runs the maze all by itself.

Cheers.

Paul Hill

Apr 24, 2014, 11:59:17 PM4/24/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I just started writing up some of my best practices for building ReST APIs. It might be helpful.
Our API (https://api.kixeye.com/api/v2/docs/) is on the verge of full hypermedia, maybe maturity model level 2.5 as we don't have a huge call for accessing the schema and links yet. But I do outline a bunch of stuff that works in the field.

It's the bones of a presentation I'll be doing at QCon NYC.

:-)

CottonWood

Apr 25, 2014, 1:47:10 AM4/25/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, guys! Your links were helpful.

Pedro Santos

Apr 28, 2014, 1:32:25 PM4/28/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record Paypal also includes hypermedia controls in it's responses: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/#hateoas-links (@Kin Lane: maybe you can include this on your list)

Cheers,
Pedro

Kin Lane

Apr 28, 2014, 1:35:44 PM4/28/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting...adding.

sgoto

May 6, 2014, 1:00:15 AM5/6/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I have a few demos running here:

--
f u cn rd ths u cn b a gd prgmr !

Nicolas Grenié

May 8, 2014, 5:44:27 PM5/8/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
You can check how we built apibunny.com hypermedia API using Fortune.js framework http://www.3scale.net/2014/04/building-apibunny-using-fortune-js-jsonapi/

The whole code is on github.
Enjoy :)

Rob Zazueta

May 8, 2014, 7:34:52 PM5/8/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
The new VerticalResponse API uses hyperlinks to identify related resources. Not sure whether it's also applying content negotiation at this point, but it's pretty straight forward out of the box:

Diana Espino

May 9, 2014, 2:20:48 PM5/9/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I found the chapter on HATEOAS in this book to be a good example: https://leanpub.com/build-apis-you-wont-hate?a=0EUlx7b61FYA6XOBNB6oOU

Thiyagu Dakshinamurthy

May 16, 2014, 12:48:51 AM5/16/14
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I did an in-house development of APIs in which I had done HATEOAS based Framework called Interaction Representation using Interactions, Contexts and Guided flows see below

The concept of Main context and sub-context is driven by User Experience design. The interaction representation framework above has HATEOAS in Guided flows. The main challenge I had was to make the clients HATEOAS compliant.  This framework even has code-on-demand in form of xpath and jsonpath to let client know how to construct complex transitions using guided flow.

The framework was successful and adoption among client developers was encouraging. The REST apis was not only targeted for web/mobile apps, but to other UI/UX applications like IVR in call centers.

cheers,
thiyagu

K Bala

May 26, 2014, 8:03:53 AM5/26/14