WrapAPI: Build an API on top of any website

Arnab Kar

Apr 5, 2016, 5:13:01 PM4/5/16
to API Craft
Hello All,

I just came across WrapAPI on Product Hunt.
https://wrapapi.com/#/?_k=rlt32x

Thought to gather some first reactions here.

Thank you!

Ruben Verborgh

Apr 6, 2016, 8:31:13 AM4/6/16
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Well, if you look at it from a REST perspective,
a website _is_ an API—with human-readable representations [1].

So what WrapAPI does it generating machine-readable representations.
That makes a lot of sense, probably more than some APIs.

For instance, I have worked in the past with APIs
that were harder to use than the corresponding website,
so it was actually easier to create a scraper than to use the API.
For such cases, it would definitely make sense :-)

However, in the longterm, we should convince developers
to just provide machine-readable representations
of the resources they offer through their websites,
then tools like this are not necessary anymore.

Best,

Ruben

[1] http://ruben.verborgh.org/blog/2013/11/29/the-lie-of-the-api/

sgoto

Apr 6, 2016, 10:01:55 PM4/6/16
to api-...@googlegroups.com
how do you deal with XSRF tokens?

f u cn rd ths u cn b a gd prgmr !

Markus Lanthaler

Apr 7, 2016, 4:06:43 PM4/7/16
to api-...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, April 07, 2016 4:02 AM, sgoto wrote:
> how do you deal with XSRF tokens?

The client needs to maintain state (cookies and/or XSRF tokens), just like a browser does