Gday cobbers

Simon Boddy

Feb 19, 2016, 11:03:51 AM2/19/16
to API Craft
New member here !

I'm coming back to the topic of apis after a decade or so, time flies. I've spent as much time as I can afford reading around, and I need to start making progress on an api to store, sign and retrieve images with some meta-data. I believe I'm stuck with returning XML on the retrieval side.

On the server, we'll be using microsoft stuff. I'm excited about OWIN and Nancy, wondering about HAL.

I don't want to be divisive or get flamed, but I shall not be applying for the REST seal of approval, or going too far down the hypermedia road. I've seen references in other posts to "rpc pride", and I was wondering if there's a support group or something you could point me to :-) I'm feeling lonely, but I'm not suicidal.

There are a couple of preoccupations that I want to bake in from the start, and I would appreciate help on:
  • Do I need to think about versionning? Perhaps versions have no place in a world of agents discovering and traversing apis? I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet. Is version negotiation a topic?
  • Progressive enhancement. Do people have strategies for permitting/favouring extensibility and enhancement of their apis.
  • Types for responses. Are there "standard" types for responses to update and delete requests. I'm thinking particularly about reversability. Is there a standard way of representing
    { toConfirm:href, toCancel:href, mustConfirmBefore:timestamp, mustCancelBefore:timestamp }
Thanks, and sorry in advance if these are unanswerable newbe questions.

Simon

Richard Mateosian

Feb 19, 2016, 11:32:48 AM2/19/16
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, Simon. I can't do that. Are you a friend of Dave?    :-)     ...RM

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Simon Boddy <bbsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering about HAL.

--

Richard Mateosian <x...@pacbell.net>