Meetup in Real Life & Online?

landlessness

Mar 10, 2012, 6:49:39 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Sam Ramji & I were talking here at SXSW about how cool it would be to get all the craftsmen & craftswomen together for a meetup in real life with an online component too.

Before we go off and organize it, we'd like to gauge interest levels.

If you'd show up for a monthly meetup in real life (for people in SF Bay) or online (for those of us in the real world) please Reply to Author with a quick +1.

Very Best,
-b

Kevin Swiber

Mar 10, 2012, 7:01:07 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Do this in Detroit, and I'm there. :)

Not sure about the online thing. In my experience, partial in-person/online events are difficult due to collaboration constraints. I'd like more detail on that once it's fleshed out.

In the meantime, I'll price shop flight tickets to the Bay Area. Good luck!
--
Kevin Swiber
Projects: https://github.com/kevinswiber

Jesse Emery

Mar 10, 2012, 7:16:58 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Do we want to try and attempt a last minute SXSW get together IN Austin? Maybe tomorrow evening before parties start?

Jesse

JoeyLowe

Mar 10, 2012, 7:20:02 PM3/10/12
to API Craft
Sure...count me in. I'm in Texas but the bay area shouldn't be a big
deal given enough notice.

Thanks,

Joey

Tameez Sunderji

Mar 10, 2012, 8:32:18 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1! (sf bay)

Sent from my iPhone

Abraham Williams

Mar 10, 2012, 10:28:56 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm always up for talking APIs.

Abraham
--
Abraham Williams | InboxQ | abrah.am | abraham+
@abraham | github.com/abraham | blog.abrah.am

Richard Pijnenburg

Mar 10, 2012, 11:15:36 PM3/10/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
To bad i live in the netherlands, but im up for the online part :-)

+1

Jeff Schmidt

Mar 11, 2012, 10:30:30 AM3/11/12
to API Craft
+1 (Denver, CO)

Jeff

On Mar 10, 10:15 pm, Richard Pijnenburg <richard.pijnenb...@gmail.com>

Jesse Emery

Mar 11, 2012, 4:53:49 PM3/11/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com, Brian Mulloy
For those at SXSW, CodeLesson has graciously invited us to join their drinkup tonight at 530 at The Driskill (6th and Brazos). If you can make it, please come by and say hi and let's chat APIs. It would be great to meet and geek out.

Let's try to keep replies offline so we can spare those not in Austin ;-)

Cheers,
Jesse Emery
Chief Identity Officer
YourTrove, Inc.

Kin Lane

Mar 11, 2012, 5:03:31 PM3/11/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com

Dave Goldberg

Mar 11, 2012, 9:58:25 PM3/11/12
to API Craft
Count me in if there are any DC people interested and definitely for
an online event.

Darrel Miller

Mar 12, 2012, 8:39:53 AM3/12/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
For those Web API people who are curious about how all the REST
constraints can be applied pragmatically, there will be another
RESTFest (http://www.restfest.org) on from Sept 15-18 in Greenville,
SC. This is a community run event, aimed at all levels of REST
experience and everyone speaks. Even the camera man did a 5 min talk
last year :-)

Darrel

The Amiable API

Mar 12, 2012, 9:26:30 AM3/12/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 (Waterloo, ON, Canada)

Luke Stokes

Mar 12, 2012, 10:37:20 AM3/12/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
My friend Ben Ramsey keeps raving about RESTfest from last year. I've watched a few of the videos and I'm definitely interested in going next time (the videos were made available by Twilio:  http://vimeo.com/restfest/videos/sort:date)

As for meeting online, Google hangouts work really well so I'm +1 for that. We could setup a time during the week where the hangout will be "open" for anyone to say hello, talk APIs and whatnot. We could keep it super lay back so if someone wants to show up, cool, otherwise no big deal because there's always next week (or next month, or whatever frequency we want).

mca

Mar 12, 2012, 10:45:29 AM3/12/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com, rest...@googlegroups.com
(cross-posted to REST-Fest list)

Luke (and all here):

RESTFest is (IMO) a great event; very low-key and direct. The focus is
on _real_ solutions, not just theoretical stuff.

A _big_ deal about RESTFest is everyone is a speaker. Even if it's
only for as few as five minutes; even if the only thing you talk about
is "what i don't yet know", etc. Since everyone talks, everyone gets
to interact directly and it's a very friendly atmosphere.

Add to that the hackday and a full day of workshops, it's one of the
most enjoyable conferences i've attended.

If you're interested in participating this year, check out the
RESTFest discussion list[1] and wiki from past years[2] and watch for
details.

I hope to see you there!

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rest-fest
[2] http://code.google.com/p/rest-fest/

mca
http://amundsen.com/blog/
http://twitter.com@mamund
http://mamund.com/foaf.rdf#me

landlessness

Mar 12, 2012, 1:38:13 PM3/12/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com, dar...@tavis.ca
sweet. just added it to my calendar. sounds awesome.

Nandini Javagal

Mar 15, 2012, 2:29:49 PM3/15/12
to API Craft
+1 for South bay (Palo Alto, Sunnyvale area)

Scotty Logan

Mar 15, 2012, 2:31:21 PM3/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Nandini Javagal
<nandini...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for South bay (Palo Alto, Sunnyvale area)

+1 for mid-peninsula (Palo Alto, San Carlos area)

Scotty

ian felton

Mar 19, 2012, 5:15:20 PM3/19/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 Minneapolis

guivalerio

Mar 23, 2012, 7:57:53 AM3/23/12
to API Craft
+1 London :)

Mike Schinkel

Mar 23, 2012, 10:01:43 AM3/23/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 Atlanta

Timo Schrappe,

Mar 23, 2012, 11:30:02 AM3/23/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 germany? :)

Nate McCall

Mar 23, 2012, 2:02:39 PM3/23/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Austin, TX

landlessness

Apr 11, 2012, 10:06:04 AM4/11/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
over beer with Kevin Swiber last week we decided to fire up API Craft Detroit as a real, local face-to-face meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/API-Craft-Detroit/

as other folks get their local meetups off the ground we'd like to experiment with virtually connecting via Google Hangouts so that of our ~2-hour monthly meetup maybe 30-minutes of it is online about a shared topic with other meetup groups from around the world.

-b

Bill Wilder

Apr 11, 2012, 10:12:58 AM4/11/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for online (from Boston)

sune jakobsson

Apr 11, 2012, 10:19:17 AM4/11/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for online ( from Norway)
Message has been deleted

Eric Muyser

Apr 13, 2012, 3:19:14 PM4/13/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
+1 online (from Vancouver, BC)

Carlos Eberhardt

Apr 13, 2012, 3:33:36 PM4/13/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Anyone in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area interested in trying to get something started?

- Carlos

MattM

Apr 15, 2012, 12:28:15 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else in Vancouver?  There are a few of us on here already.  Could have a f2f meetup.

Thanks, Matt

Kin Lane

Apr 15, 2012, 1:38:14 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently planning a nine city Hackathon tour.  Starting in Los Angeles on 4/27

Following cities are Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, New Orleans, and Austin.  One of our primary sponsors Socrata is connecting the events with city leaders in each market.

I would be open to tacking on a 3rd day for the venue, either day before or day after for an API focused event.  Making it about the technology and business of APIs.

I've talked this over with several API industry leaders, API owners and had good response so far.  ProgrammableWeb said they'd support as well.

Also I have the buy in from CityGrid / IAC leaders to continue with this roadshow to other cities when successful, which could also take the API focus beyond the list above.

I'll keep drumming up support and see what we can do, I think its too late for LA (maybe not).  Let me know your feedback.

Hey Matt...also I'm in Vancouver 5/1 and 5/2.  Would love to grab some coffee or a beer.

Kin Lane

Matt O'Keefe

Apr 15, 2012, 7:43:34 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Kin, I'd be interested in hosting your event in Chicago at Morningstar. We hosted API Hack Day last year and that was quite fun.

-Matt

Bill Wilder

Apr 15, 2012, 7:49:49 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kin,

I'm in the Boston area. I don't have a good idea of what you have in mind (is there a fuller writeup of an example event?)...

But I may be able to help out and/or connect you with people who can.

We can also connect offline - my handle is codingoutloud on gmail.

Cheers,
-Bill

Kin Lane

Apr 15, 2012, 10:26:52 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great Matthew.  No venue secured for Chicago.

Engaging you directly.

Kin lane

Kin Lane

Apr 15, 2012, 10:27:21 PM4/15/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill,

I will engage  you directly.

Kin lane

Maksim Pecherskiy

Apr 16, 2012, 10:41:16 AM4/16/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
I just set up a Meetup group in Chicago, going to try and find a place somewhere in Downtown or Lakeview area, but of course will depend on what's convenient for everyone else.  Come one come all!

--
Maksim Pecherskiy
Web Developer | www.allplayers.com

AllPlayers.com — Less Work, More Play™

--

APCI Disclaimer:  This message and information contained in or attached to this communication is privileged and confidential and intended only for the person named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication to anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please do not read it.  Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and delete this communication from your computer.  Thank you.

MattM

Apr 16, 2012, 12:31:22 PM4/16/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
That would be great!  Lots of options for either beverage here :-)

landlessness

Jun 5, 2012, 10:08:28 PM6/5/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
We had a real life meetup of API Craft folks at the Detroit Beer Company tonight.

here's a photo of the 10 of us: https://twitter.com/landlessness/status/210189870373679105/photo/1/large

This time we had a member do a show and tell his team's new connected car API.

Next month we'll be looking at a social media API.

If you haven't yet, kick one off in your part of the world.

-b

--
Kevin Swiber
Projects: https://github.com/kevinswiber
Twitter: @kevinswiber

MattM

Jun 6, 2012, 12:18:21 PM6/6/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
That's great!  The precedent (brewhouse) has been set.

Vancouverites:  How about Tuesday, June 26 at the Yaletown Brewing Company (http://www.markjamesgroup.com/yaletown.html)?

Kevin Swiber

Jun 6, 2012, 12:23:35 PM6/6/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent discussions.  Great people, great beer, great food.  Let's keep up the momentum!

Vivek

Jun 8, 2012, 1:59:09 PM6/8/12
to API Craft
I'm happy to host in Chicago @ Morningstar. Topics welcome.

Brian Mulloy

Jun 8, 2012, 2:25:53 PM6/8/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com, API Craft
The API Craft Chicago meetup also seems to be going: http://www.meetup.com/API-Craft-Chicago

Detroit: http://www.meetup.com/API-Craft-Detroit

Any others underway?

Sent from my iPhone

MattM

Jun 21, 2012, 5:56:57 PM6/21/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Yes, we're having a Vancouver meetup next Tuesday (June 26) in Vancouver.  No meetup.com entry, but we've started a LinkedIn group here...

Kin: We're heading to the Yaletown Brewing Company, in case that's enough to entice you to fly up to BC :-)

Thanks, Matt

MattM

Jun 27, 2012, 12:05:34 PM6/27/12
to api-...@googlegroups.com