Help with implementation on Raspbian

VA7WPN

Dec 22, 2014, 7:55:55 PM12/22/14
to ape-p...@googlegroups.com
I am in the process of building a device to use in an EOC and its outlying EBOX's. An EOC is an Emergency Operations Center, and an EBOX and an Emergency BOX. The EBOX's are basically a sea container that is outfitted to support a small portion of our community. They are located around the town. Kind of like bunkers, but built to support the aftermath of an earthquake or tsunami.

The devices I am using are Wireless routers that are setup to run on a mesh system. Each router has a raspberry pi attached to it to be used as a server / EBOX control station. The reasoning behind the WIFI and Raspberry Pi is the size and power restraints in a situation such as they would be used. The raspberry pi will be accessable by any wifi device such as a laptop, phone or tablet. The Raspberry pi will run a number of services to help support the network and the ability to communicate between the EBOXs.

Each Raspberry Pi will have a web server on it hosting a dedicated site that will allow the reporting of EBOX stats, such as wifi link, services running, and give the people using the EBOX the ability to report information such as # of people, condition of those people, and the status of the EBOX supplies. I also plan on implementing an IRC and PBX link between the EBOXs .

Now... how did I get to APE. I would like to use APE as that connection between the EBOX's to transport / beacon the information as it is updated on one EBOX node to all of the other connected EBOX nodes. I just need some direction as to how I can implement this, and if it is supportable by a raspberry pi.

Tanks a ton!

peter.r...@verpeteren.nl

Dec 27, 2014, 1:04:24 AM12/27/14
to ape-p...@googlegroups.com
Hai

I like your idea!

Jon Francis, gives some pointers in a thread 'libape-spidermonkey on
ARM' how you can proceed with compiling ape on raspberry.

I can imagine that the EBOX communicate to each other via the ape
protocol (scripts/framework/Http.js and with Ape.setInterval).
APE needs dns, so you have to look into the details of your
networksetup per EBOX.

On the other hand you might want to look into the nanomsg project as
well, It might be a better fit if you just want that 'bots' communicate.

I hope that this was helpfull.

Peter