[apbs-users] Help with SLURM and APBS

Grant Kemp

Dec 2, 2016, 8:41:50 AM12/2/16
to apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using the SLURM workload manager (https://slurm.schedmd.com/) along with APBS? I have installed an MPI-compiled APBS-1.4.2 and it works just fine for small tests when I run it with the mg-auto, but when I use mg-para I get:

Parsing input file NC_from3J00.in...
read
Parsed input file.
Got paths for 1 molecules
Reading PQR-format atom data from NC_from3J00.pqr.
NOsh_setupMGPARA:  There are too few processors (1) to satisfy requirements (4)
/var/spool/slurmd/job12336001/slurm_script: line 9:  6603 Segmentation fault  (core dumped) apbs NC_from3J00.in

My SBATCH script looks like this:

#! /bin/bash -l
#
#SBATCH -A snic2016-7-97
#SBATCH -p core -n 4 -C mem64GB
#SBATCH -t 60:00
#SBATCH -J NC_test_2016_11_29
#
module load pgi openmpi
apbs NC_from3J00.in

and the input file (NC_from3J00.in) like this:

read
    mol pqr NC_from3J00.pqr
end
elec
    mg-para
    ofrac 0.1
    pdime 2 2 1
    dime 97 129 129
    cglen 284.7058 90.9908 79.7538
    fglen 187.4740 73.5240 66.9140
    cgcent mol 1
    fgcent mol 1
    mol 1
    lpbe
    bcfl sdh
    pdie 2.0000
    ion charge 1 conc 0.150 radius 1.02
    ion charge -1 conc 0.150 radius 1.81
    sdie 78.5400
    srfm smol
    chgm spl2
    sdens 10.00
    srad 1.40
    swin 0.30
    temp 298.15
    calcenergy total
    calcforce no
    write pot dx NC_from3J00.pqr
end
print elecEnergy 1 end
quit

My current thinking is that the SLURM and APBS are not communicating properly (i.e. SLURM is supposed to be allocating 4 cores to the APBS calculations, but APBS only sees 1). Eventually I want to do calculations on the entire ribosome (with various mutations). This will obviously be very computationally heavy so I want to make sure that the calculation is being properly distributed before I submit a larger job. Thanks for the help.

Best,

Grant Kemp
Postdoc with Gunnar von Heijne
Dept of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Stockholm University

Baker, Nathan

Dec 4, 2016, 1:25:33 PM12/4/16
to Grant Kemp, apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net, Engel, Dave W, Brandi-Lozano, Juan M

Hi Grant –

I’m Cc’ing Keith, Dave, and Juan for their help with this.

Thanks,

--

Nathan Baker

Advanced Computing, Mathematics, and Data Division — Pacific Northwest Natl Lab

Division of Applied Mathematics — Brown University

+1-509-375-3997 — http://go.usa.gov/xWY9Y