[apbs-users] problems upgrading from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 OSX

Tyler Harpole

Jun 29, 2015, 4:35:19 PM6/29/15
to apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Upon downloading APBS-1.4.1-binary.dmg, opening the disc image and moving the APBS folder to /Applications/: clicking the icon seems to simply be a path modification PATH=$PATH:`dirname '/Volumes/APBS-1.4.1-binary-osx-img/APBS.app/Contents/MacOS/apbs_term'`

Upon opening the folder and running the binary, I get an Illegal instruction: 4 error message. However, this was not a problem in 1.4.0

I am running OS X 1.7.5 if that is useful. Any insight into getting this to work would be much appreciated.

Star, Keith

Jun 30, 2015, 12:08:43 PM6/30/15
to harpol...@gmail.com, apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net, Jurrus, Elizabeth R

Upon downloading APBS-1.4.1-binary.dmg, opening the disc image and moving the APBS folder to /Applications/: clicking the icon seems to simply be a path modification PATH=$PATH:`dirname '/Volumes/APBS-1.4.1-binary-osx-img/APBS.app/Contents/MacOS/apbs_term'`

That is correct.  APBS is still a command line application, and as such is run from the terminal.  The point of the icon is simply to provide a quick way to run APBS without having to require users to manage search paths and the like.

Upon opening the folder and running the binary, I get an Illegal instruction: 4 error message. However, this was not a problem in 1.4.0

I am running OS X 1.7.5 if that is useful. Any insight into getting this to work would be much appreciated.

If you are using OS X 10.7.5 Lion, then that is the cause of the problem.  We didn't build the binary distribution expecting to support an OS older than a few releases.  Right now, the only options that you have are upgrading to a newer version of OS X (Mavericks and Yosemite both work with this release) or to build a new release from source: https://github.com/Electrostatics/apbs-pdb2pqr/blob/1.4.1-binary-release/apbs/BUILD.md.

Thanks,

 - Keith