Tool for semantic searching and replacing in a Java codebase.

Harry

Jun 22, 2016, 12:20:07 AM6/22/16
to antlr-discussion
Hello,

I had posted this question (semantic searching and editing in a Java codebase) a couple days back on StackOverflow, here. The final answer that I selected however, involves purchasing (apparently) an extremely sophisticated but also an extremely pricey tool - the DMS Toolkit.

I'm new to antlr, and also to compiler/language technology. Therefore, would like to know what all headstart or leverage an antlr-based solution can provide me. For example, I know I will have:
  - the antlr tool itself - with its sufficiently powerful LL(*) parsing algorithm with memoizable backtracking and PEGs.
  - the LL(*) stock Java grammar that can be easily downloaded

But, what else? Is there, for example, such a thing as a "stock, symbol-table implementation" for a given language and its grammar (in my case: Java)? Or, is it that, due to the varying needs of each grammar application, no such general implementation exists (or can even be sensibly attempted)?

I'm not averse at all to writing whatever code is needed to build an antlr-based tool to solve my problem, but wanted to double-check before getting started.

Regards,
/HS