AntlrDT and XVisitorDT/XVisitor releases now available

Gerald Rosenberg

Jun 22, 2016, 3:18:07 AM6/22/16
to antlr-discussion
Public releases of a number of my Antlr related tools are now available. This includes the AntlrDT, XVisitorDT, and STDT editors for the Eclipse platform.

AntlrDT:    editor and automatic builder for Antlr v4 grammars.
XVisitorDT: editor and automatic builder for XVisitor grammars.
STDT:       editor for StringTemplate v4 group template files.

Screenshots and documentation are available on my site.

These editors are all built on the new DSL Editor framework - a small set of Eclipse plugins that enable rapid construction of context-sensitive editors for any DSL that can be represented by an Antlr v4 grammar.

Standard Eclipse update site (Certiv Tools) at www.certiv.net/updates

Also made a new version of XVisitor available on GitHub. XVisitor is a code generation tool that builds custom parse-tree visitors from XVisitor grammars. Very clean, simple, and fast. Documentation and ready to use jars (binary and source) are available on my site.

Licenses are EPL and BSD.

Hope you find the tools useful.

Gerald
--
www.certiv.net

Mohan Radhakrishnan

Jun 23, 2016, 6:08:44 AM6/23/16
to antlr-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerald,
                  I am working on a small code transformation tool using Antlr4. As of now it works fairly well. It is just the beginning though as I am learning the API.The grammar is Java.g4 but eventually I want to use other grammars that work on the parse tree after it is created. This is for extensibility as the generic code transformation tool can be customized by other developers. Is that what XVisitor does ?

Moreover I want to know how your eclipse editor feature will make my  Antlr transformation code more useful for other developers.Not sure exactly what I want here. But a editor UI will be helpful. I couldn't code a new UI myself. Hope I am making sense.

Thanks,
Mohan

Gerald Rosenberg

Jun 23, 2016, 2:09:36 PM6/23/16
to antlr-discussion

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 3:08:44 AM UTC-7, Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
Hi Gerald,
                  I am working on a small code transformation tool using Antlr4. As of now it works fairly well. It is just the beginning though as I am learning the API.The grammar is Java.g4 but eventually I want to use other grammars that work on the parse tree after it is created. This is for extensibility as the generic code transformation tool can be customized by other developers. Is that what XVisitor does ?

XVisitor simplifies the task of writing parse-tree visitors.

Normally, you have to write classes extending the Antlr generated ParserListener or ParserVisitor interfaces to be used in conjunction with Antlr's ParseTreeWalker.  All code, hand written.

XVisitor allows you to write a fully symbolic visitor grammar -- using the same symbolic rule and token names defined in the parse-tree grammar. The tool generates the visitor code that, with the runtime, implements the grammar defined visitor.

Moreover I want to know how your eclipse editor feature will make my  Antlr transformation code more useful for other developers.Not sure exactly what I want here. But a editor UI will be helpful. I couldn't code a new UI myself. Hope I am making sense.

If you mean that you are developing a DSL to describe the transformation changes, then yes, the DSL Editor framework can be used to build a custom context-directed editor specific to your DSL.