gather_facts: ansible_hostname only

John Harmon

Jan 23, 2018, 12:42:52 PM1/23/18
to Ansible Project
Is there a way for me to specify the only fact I care about gathering?  I have a server that is giving me grief due to the way its disks are setup (tons of nfs shares, etc).... at least I assume that is why it is giving me grief.  I just need to gather the ansible_hostname fact.

John Harmon

Jan 23, 2018, 12:58:40 PM1/23/18
to Ansible Project
The following works on the command line, but I can't seem to find the right syntax to put it into a playbook:
root@ansible:/playbooks # ansible -m setup -a 'filter=ansible_hostname' ansible-oel6
ansible
-oel6 | SUCCESS => {

"ansible_facts": {

"ansible_hostname": "ansible-oel6"

},

"changed": false
}

Matt Martz

Jan 23, 2018, 12:59:23 PM1/23/18
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
The most minimal you can do, and still get that would be to define:

gather_subset: platform

It will include ansible_hostname, plus a few extras.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM, John Harmon <jharmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a way for me to specify the only fact I care about gathering?  I have a server that is giving me grief due to the way its disks are setup (tons of nfs shares, etc).... at least I assume that is why it is giving me grief.  I just need to gather the ansible_hostname fact.

Matt Martz
@sivel
sivel.net

John Harmon

Jan 23, 2018, 1:09:06 PM1/23/18
to Ansible Project
Thanks Matt.  It seems platform and !all,min equate to the same thing.  I tried the following in my playbook and it works:

  pre_tasks:

- setup:
        gather_subset
: min
        filter
: ansible_hostname

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 10:59:23 AM UTC-7, Matt Martz wrote:
The most minimal you can do, and still get that would be to define:

gather_subset: platform

It will include ansible_hostname, plus a few extras.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM, John Harmon <jharmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a way for me to specify the only fact I care about gathering?  I have a server that is giving me grief due to the way its disks are setup (tons of nfs shares, etc).... at least I assume that is why it is giving me grief.  I just need to gather the ansible_hostname fact.

Kai Stian Olstad

Jan 23, 2018, 1:20:34 PM1/23/18
On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 19.09.06 CET John Harmon wrote:
> Thanks Matt. It seems platform and !all,min equate to the same thing. I
> tried the following in my playbook and it works:
>
> pre_tasks:
> - setup:
> gather_subset: min
> filter: ansible_hostname

gather_subset is also allowed on the play[1] level.

- hosts: all
gather_subset: min

[1] https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/playbooks_keywords.html#play

--