Ansible Pull mode

knowshan

Jul 26, 2016, 6:37:34 PM7/26/16
to Ansible Project

I am looking for suggestions for implementing Ansible pull model. The pull mode is essential for bootstrapping new systems and auto-scaling not launched by Ansible.

I've looked at ansible-pull command, but it downloads entire Git repository before running a playbook. This may not be an ideal option for following reasons:
 * Inefficient as repository size increases
 * Exposes entire repository all nodes and not just the config needed by a particular node

I’ve hacked together following four lines to glue requirements, playbook with a application. The application/node/system gets role requirements first and then runs a playbook which uses those roles. In most cases, playbook includes only a list of roles. It works fine, however, it hasn’t considered various conditions yet.

ansible-galaxy -vvv install requirements.yml
ansible-playbook -vvv playbook.yml

I was wondering if anyone has other ideas or workflows or (free) tool suggestions for using Ansible in pull mode.

--
Shantanu

Alexey Vazhnov

Jul 28, 2016, 8:24:45 AM7/28/16
to Ansible Project
This might be interesting for large projects.