How to restore a deck from a backup file ?

Paul Kuen

May 10, 2014, 6:11:49 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After using and enriching an anki deck for more than a year and a half, my ankidroid app could not open the file anymore. There has been some kind of corruption that replaced my .anki file by a .anki.back file (that I understand to be a backup file).
Is there a way I could restore my deck using the back up file ? If yes why ?

If any one could help me, I would be ever so gratefull.

NB: I've been keeping on using the 1.1.3 version of Ankidroid. Actually when I had upgraded to 2. version, I couldn't reverse my cards anymore (which was unacceptable for me)

Charles J. Daniels

May 10, 2014, 6:34:09 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
If you look in your AnkiDroid/backup folder, you should have some backups (unless it was turned off in the options). Copy the latest one to your AnkiDroid folder and rename it there as collection.anki2 -- and give it a try.

If that doesn't work -- try the other backup files. It's possible to end up with multiple backups of say, an empty collection, in which case there no longer is a backup.

Also, it's a great idea to sync to ankiweb -- it's free so why not =) It also makes it easy to coordinate with Anki desktop

Tim

May 10, 2014, 8:44:07 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
The user is using 1.1.3 so that won't work...

What file types are in the backup folder? If they're .anki files you can probably just copy them into the ankidroid folder.

You can reverse cards in anki 2 btw, you just have to do it a different way. See the faq.

Charles J. Daniels

May 10, 2014, 8:55:48 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
so you're saying that, because they're not on an AnkiDroid 2.x version, the file extension is anki instead of anki2 -- but also it seems that the filename doesn't matter -- it will catch all .anki files -- is that right?

Tim

May 10, 2014, 9:51:53 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes the extension will be different, and there will be a file for each deck... they might be zipped up together, or even put in sub-folders; I don't remember anymore.

Charles J. Daniels

May 10, 2014, 9:58:43 PM5/10/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
my question is if it will be picky about the filename, or if the extension is good enough

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Tim <perceptu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes the extension will be different, and there will be a file for each deck... they might be zipped up together, or even put in sub-folders; I don't remember anymore.

Paul Kuen

May 12, 2014, 3:46:12 PM5/12/14
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
hi guys
thanks for your advices.
i've managed to reuse a later .anki copy of my deck in the backup folder (so simple after all :-)

continue enjoying your anki

cro...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2015, 1:04:07 AM2/19/15
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

How do I look in my AnkiDroid/backup folder?

Thanks for your help!

Charles J. Daniels

Feb 19, 2015, 2:53:47 PM2/19/15
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Most smartphones have an app called "my files" or "files" or something like that. You can also download an app for folder browsing.

Christian Crowley

Feb 19, 2015, 6:13:16 PM2/19/15
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Charles. Great pic, by the way!

Charles J. Daniels

Feb 19, 2015, 7:12:49 PM2/19/15
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com