Japanese script issue : ankidroid displaying chinese script instead of japanese scripted kanji

B G

Aug 3, 2011, 8:30:12 PM8/3/11
to AnkiDroid
hello, i've been searching for a while for a way to fix this, and i
think other have probably run into the issue as well.
When I import my decks, which i created on my computer's anki, into
anki droid, the japanese script used for the kanjicharacters is often
wrong.
At first I found this slightly amusing, but now it's getting
downright confusing when trying to memorise strokes for a specific
kanji. 将 for instance comes out as something very different in chinese
script. sometimes a caracter will have a line cross where it's not
supposed to etc.
i don't why this is happenning on some characters, while most of the
kanjis and kana's are fine, ie japanese in what is supposed to be the
japanese take on sinograms.- my guess is that it's due to android's
japanese script support, yet i couldn't find any way to fix this yet.
thanks

Nicolas Raoul

Aug 3, 2011, 9:39:53 PM8/3/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi BG,

It looks similar to this problem I had on Ubuntu:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/45977/natty-uses-chinese-character-instead-of-japanese-one

Just to make sure, if you create a flashcard with the verb 直す, does
the kanji show with a vertical bar on the left or not? First is
Japanese, second is Chinese.

Thanks for your feedback!
Nicolas Raoul

B G

Aug 4, 2011, 2:01:52 AM8/4/11
to AnkiDroid
hi, yes it's Chinese. I'm getting the same issue, chinese display with
将、化、直、今、値 instead of Japanese and quite a few others.
the same cards were created and display fine on mac os and ubuntu,
which are my computers are running, but android's / or ankidroid's
Japanese support displays Chinese styles scripts for some kanjis.

thanks

ben

On Aug 4, 10:39 am, Nicolas Raoul <nicolas.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi BG,
>
> It looks similar to this problem I had on Ubuntu:http://askubuntu.com/questions/45977/natty-uses-chinese-character-ins...

Nicolas Raoul

Aug 4, 2011, 2:12:36 AM8/4/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

I created an issue for this:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/issues/detail?id=701

Could you please post screenshots of these characters on Ubuntu and
AnkiDroid, to show the difference?
You can take Android screenshots with this tool:
http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/

Please also attach your deck to the issue (preferably after deleting
all other cards, leaving only the cards that show this problem)

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Nicolas Raoul

PetriW

Aug 4, 2011, 7:38:00 AM8/4/11
to AnkiDroid
Hello,

My understanding is that this issue is caused by the Han Unification
and Googles crappy support for it. You can find examples of relevant
characters in this wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification
(Note, the page doesn't work properly in Google Chrome, use Firefox
instead.)

From what I've read on these groups you can install a japanese font on
your device to solve this, but it requires the phone to be rooted:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/wiki/Installation#Adding_support_for_special_characters_on_Android

Another way to solve this is using the custom fonts feature in
AnkiDroid 0.7:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/wiki/UsingCustomFonts
If you use a japanese ttf font the characters will display correctly.
(This is how kanji.koohii.com displays correctly in chrome for
example.)
The disadvantage of custom fonts however is that it doesn't always
work:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/issues/detail?id=613

I've also heard you can solve the problem by buying a japanese android
phone. (They use different default fonts.)

Best regards,
Peter

On Aug 4, 8:12 am, Nicolas Raoul <nicolas.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I created an issue for this:http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/issues/detail?id=701
>
> Could you please post screenshots of these characters on Ubuntu and
> AnkiDroid, to show the difference?
> You can take Android screenshots with this tool:http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
>
> Please also attach your deck to the issue (preferably after deleting
> all other cards, leaving only the cards that show this problem)
>
> Thanks a lot for your feedback!
> Nicolas Raoul

PetriW

Aug 4, 2011, 8:05:25 AM8/4/11
to AnkiDroid
Perhaps I should mention that you have to use the correct fonts in
Anki as well for the characters to display properly. (As far as I can
see.)

For fun I tested this in Anki and it doesn't work:

I have to specify the actual font names to use for the characters to
display correctly in Anki. I'll post the 1 character deck I used to
issue 701:

On Aug 4, 1:38 pm, PetriW <peter.bartholds...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My understanding is that this issue is caused by the Han Unification
> and Googles crappy support for it. You can find examples of relevant
> characters in this wiki article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification
> (Note, the page doesn't work properly in Google Chrome, use Firefox
> instead.)
>
> 与与与与与From what I've read on these groups you can install a japanese font on
> your device to solve this, but it requires the phone to be rooted:http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/wiki/Installation#Adding_support_f...

B G

Aug 4, 2011, 9:45:43 PM8/4/11
to AnkiDroid
thanks, I will do that. I think it's really a font / android issue, as
the same issue is popping up in a japanese dictionnary app I use,
AEDICT. it has character drawing recognition, OCR, which also seems
affected by the issue.
I don't really remember what I did install for japanese font support,
appart from SIMEJI, which works pretty well but also has the same
issue. I just typed 文化 将来 in the google search bar and the, let's say
unorthodox character came up for 化 and 将

ben