Angular 5 and Google index issues

Michael Ben-Nes

Jan 1, 2018, 6:20:38 AM1/1/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi,

3 weeks ago my client website (https://www.infogan.co.il) started to disappear from Google index after we upgraded to Angular 5.0.1

The website is using Universal so the source is pre-rendered successfully (checked with curl) but googlebot got an exception when tried to init the page. It was visible when we tried to fetch a page using the Google webmaster tools as all the pages where without content.

Later we discovered that googlebot use an old chrome (ver 42) to init the page so we added polyfills and the bug was fixed.

Now 3 weeks later most of the pages are still out of the index.
Is there a know issue in Angular5 that effect googlebot that we are not aware of?

We also started a topic at Webmaster Central Help Forum with more details and screenshots.

Thanks,
Miki

Sander Elias

Jan 2, 2018, 5:13:39 AM1/2/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Michael,

I'm not aware of such an issue. I did ask around a bit and did not hear of anything relevant. Did you search/file an issue on the angular git repo? If there is indeed a relevant issue, that's the place where I would expect it to surface.

Regards
Sander

Michael Ben-Nes

Jan 2, 2018, 3:53:09 PM1/2/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Thanks for the tip Sander,

I will run further checks on the code and see if I can collect more insights. Then will see if a ticket is applicable

Shooky Galili

Jan 3, 2018, 4:39:16 AM1/3/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi. I'm working with Michael.

It could be a good idea to report a bug if we had found one. The problem is that we didn't find such a bug - we only experience this indexing issue that makes no sense, so we suspect there's a bug.

It could really be great if someone in Google's Angular team could check this out.

Sander Elias

Jan 3, 2018, 8:41:26 AM1/3/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Shooky,

Well, you can file an issue anyway. As a possible bug. Perhaps there are some more developers experiencing similar issues. Opening an issue on this will raise awareness, and there will be a usable answer in there for you.

Regards
Sander

Tito

Jan 3, 2018, 11:39:17 AM1/3/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
is there a way of emulating (in house) what google bot does (a stripped down version of google bot functionality) with ver 42 or chrome and then do the same with a newer version of chrome.
Actually google should provide a stripped down version of google bot to test things out in dev and qa and staging before running into issues in production!!!

Michael Ben-Nes

Jan 4, 2018, 4:48:33 AM1/4/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Well, Googlebot source is not open so the best we can do is to test the website with chrome ver 42. (which we did and it works as expected).

Assuming there is a problem with googlebot crawling the site. I would expect Google to be more transparent about it.

Shooky Galili

Jan 22, 2018, 10:39:32 AM1/22/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Update:

We opened an issue on GitHub 4 days ago. No comments yet.

A day before that we also upgraded to Angluar 5.2, which had no effect on our problem.

It's over a month now and we're pretty desperate.

Any ideas guys?

Tito

Jan 22, 2018, 12:22:05 PM1/22/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Could this help you out?

Not sure if you have

Sander Elias

Jan 22, 2018, 10:48:01 PM1/22/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Shooky,

Can you link the issue you have opened? I will try to get some eye's on it.

Regards
Sander

Shooky Galili

Jan 23, 2018, 3:15:14 AM1/23/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion

Shooky Galili

Jan 23, 2018, 3:58:34 AM1/23/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Thank you Tito, but we already use Universal for prerendering and have XML Sitemaps, and everything worked perfectly until we upgraded to Angular 5.

Shooky Galili

Jan 24, 2018, 8:20:50 AM1/24/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
So, the issue we opened on GitHub was closed by an admin because " it doesn't fall into the bug report or feature request category".

He asked us to repost it on StackOverflow, which may be a good idea, but we already open a discussion here, a topic on the Webmaster Central Help Forum and another one on the JavaScript Sites in Search Working Group and it started to feel like shooting in the dark.

Sander Elias

Jan 24, 2018, 11:52:20 AM1/24/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Shooky,

Hmm, that's not just an admin ;)

But please do as he asked, SO in combination with the #angular flag will get a lot more eyeball's as posting in here or even as opening an issue.
Also, link it back in here, so I get some attention to your question. I will do what I can to get you the help you need.

Regards
Sander

Shooky Galili

Jan 24, 2018, 12:09:31 PM1/24/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Thanks Sander! We'll do exactly that and hope for the best...

Sander Elias

Jan 25, 2018, 2:20:52 AM1/25/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Snooky

Did the answer from Filipe on your GH issue help you a bit?

Regards
Sander
Message has been deleted

Shooky Galili

Jan 25, 2018, 12:32:05 PM1/25/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
We checked out the issue Filipe referred to. The alleged bug is already fixed in Angular 5.2.0 which we upgraded to over a week ago. Note that in the last comment in GH IgorMinar make an argument why it makes sense that there was a change in Googlebot around December 11 when the problem started.

Shooky Galili

Jan 29, 2018, 12:45:13 PM1/29/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
 Seven weeks and counting...

We managed to get rid of the flashing "main" in our titles (on the browser tabs) a week ago. Cached versions render correctly. No change in indexing yet.

Nitesh Luharuka

Apr 24, 2018, 10:53:34 AM4/24/18
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Shooky,