docker as a dev tool set?

Tito

Jul 21, 2017, 11:48:19 AM7/21/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Greetings,

Any good reads out there, pros/cons for using docker in my dev tool set? I really like what it can do but not sure how well node/angular plays well with this tool?
I want to go into a DevOps frame of mind. Right now I work for a small company that uses Excel as a database :) so I want to move us forward into modern sdlc and tools.
Even though I am starting small, whatever I do now I want it to be scale in the future.

Thanks much!

Juri Strumpflohner

Jul 30, 2017, 3:00:31 AM7/30/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Hi Tito,

wow, from Excel to Docker is quite a jump. Angular/node plays well with Docker. In the end you can imagine a container just as a single, isolated server on its own, just that it is a bit more resource optimized obviously as a real single virtual machine.

If you want to dive a bit deeper, I know that Dan Wahlin has given a talk on Docker at ngconf2017 this year. Here's the link to the talk on Youtube: https://youtu.be/socWfhPJptE

hope that gives you an initial idea where to get started :)

Zlatko Đurić

Jul 31, 2017, 5:43:32 AM7/31/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
I agree with Juri. Docker can be quite useful. But the question is, is it useful to you? What specific job you want it to do? Develop your angular apps, and only deploy them as docker images? Or maybe use docker images of your backend server for use in local development? Or use some dockerized tools to isolate whatever task in your build pipeline (like building image srcsets) and offload that build task off your meager laptop?

It's definitely useful, but don't push it if you don't need it. To finish in the oldest of devops buzzwords, KISS!

Tito

Jul 31, 2017, 1:48:32 PM7/31/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
thanks folks for the feedback! My aim is for developing locally then deploying in an automated fashion. Yes indeed a huge jump from the way we are doing things now :) but the docker thing is more from dev tools pov

Juri

Aug 1, 2017, 8:00:40 AM8/1/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Well to be honest, Docker is much more than just from a developer's perspective. With Docker you version entire machines while otherwise you version packages, like your frontend package, backend package which you then deploy to some existing server.
With Docker you create an image of a machine, containing already everything you need to run your app and you then deploy the entire container in production and drop the old one. This involves a lot of automation at various steps in the pipeline.

Personally I'd first go with an automated build pipeline such as a build server. We for instance use Jenkins for that, but there are a load of other tools available.
The workflow is the following: whenever some developer commits to our Gitlab server which hosts the src code, a trigger is fired to some build job on Jenkins (which we configured  before) which then takes care of fetching the latest version from GitLab, doing the build, running the tests for then either creating a deployable package or in some case even deploying automatically via SSH to the server itself.

To get an idea, here's a video lesson I recently published on Egghead of a possible setup for an Angular application with GitHub as the src server, Travis as the build server and Firebase as the hosting location.

Juri
https://juristr.com - @juristr on Twitter

Tito

Aug 2, 2017, 5:17:28 PM8/2/17
to Angular and AngularJS discussion
Thanks very much! I need to rethink this