State of the project

Manuel Kiessling

Sep 14, 2010, 11:30:35 AM9/14/10
to ang...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,

I hope it's okay to bring up some non-technical questions.

Ever since I heard about angular and started using it, I'm really excited about it, and would love to see the project prosper. Which is why I would like to understand how the project's and its community are currently organized.

Regarding, for example, the website. Taking into account how young and small the project still is, http://angularjs.org/ is really awesome (in this stage, my own projects use to have a README file at best - which is empty :-)).

But nevertheless, more content, especially for JavaScript newbies, is needed. Maybe a comment function in the reference section would help - see the PHP.net function library, where the user contributed notes helped to create one of the best documentations some years ago (something that imho holds true whether one likes PHP or not).

While googling for angular related content, I stumbled upon http://www.getangular.com/ - is this an active resource, or remains of a first attempt to build an angular project page? If it is no longer active/valid, I suggest it is removed, because it only serves to confuse users and to weaken the SEO relevance of http://angularjs.org/.

It currently looks like I'm going to hold a talk about angular at the next meeting of Berlin's JS User Group, which is going to be real fun because my overall JavaScript knowledge is still meager to say the least. So if you guys have some suggestions how to point out the advantages of angular compared to the established JS technologies like jQuery etc., that would be great.

Regards,

--
Manuel

Misko Hevery

Sep 15, 2010, 12:54:44 PM9/15/10
to ang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuel,

Feel free to ask any questions about angular here. We are happy to hear that you are excited about angular, and would love any help you can offer us, especially any evangelism or building up a community around it.

The angularjs.org is a mediawiki site, and so anyone who registers (http://angularjs.org/Special:UserLogin) can contribute. There are talk pages where discussion can take place and where we can add better documentation. We force registration because we have had problems in the past with vandalism. If you know of better ways to do this we are all ears. Or better yet if you could add the missing pages with at least an outline we could fill out the details.

getangular.com was the original idea which would allow web-developers (non programmers) to build simple web-apps. Over time angular has grown into a generic framework, but we feel that there is no market for web-designers building web-applications, so we are actually in the process of shutting down the site, so the confusion over the two should soon disappear.

It is great to hear that you will be evangelizing angular in the JS User group. We are still trying to figure out the positioning story for angular as well, so any help would be great. With respect to jQuery:
  • angular and jQuery are made for each other. jQuery is for manipulating DOM and angular is more for web-app framework with data binding. Angular uses jQuery internally to manipulate the DOM. angular: high level app flow, jQuery: low level DOM manipulation.
  • You use angular to create a flow for your site with MVC, but you use jQuery to crate the widgets and animation in your application which you then use to build the UI.

-- misko

Manuel Kiessling

Sep 15, 2010, 5:55:16 PM9/15/10
to Angular
Hi Misko,

On Sep 15, 6:54 pm, Misko Hevery <mi...@hevery.com> wrote:

> The angularjs.org is a mediawiki site, and so anyone who registers (http://angularjs.org/Special:UserLogin) can contribute.

Jesus, stupid me :-) I saw that the site was powered by a wiki, but
whenever I tried to contribute by using "edit this page", I received
the message "You do not have permission to edit this page...". Because
there is no link to the registration form or any other info regarding
registration, I thought that the system was kept non-public
intentionally, and didn't look any further.

Maybe I'm not the only one stuck this way, so maybe it makes sense to
change the communication on the page.

> It is great to hear that you will be evangelizing angular in the JS User
> group. We are still trying to figure out the positioning story for angular
> as well, so any help would be great. With respect to jQuery:
>
>    - angular and jQuery are made for each other. jQuery is for manipulating
>    DOM and angular is more for web-app framework with data binding. Angular
>    uses jQuery internally to manipulate the DOM. angular: high level app flow,
>    jQuery: low level DOM manipulation.
>    - You use angular to create a flow for your site with MVC, but you use
>    jQuery to crate the widgets and animation in your application which you then
>    use to build the UI.

This helps a lot, thank you! I will start to work on a story/slides
and will probably come back with more specific questions.

Regards,

--
Manuel

Mike Spainhower

Sep 15, 2010, 10:57:38 PM9/15/10
to Angular
I suggest watching the Google Tech Talk in which Misko does a great
job articulating what Angular is and how it is distinct from other js
libraries. It sold me :)

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQCLlu1dko

Thanks,
Mike

On Sep 14, 11:30 am, Manuel Kiessling <man...@kiessling.net> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I hope it's okay to bring up some non-technical questions.
>
> Ever since I heard about angular and started using it, I'm really excited about it, and would love to see the project prosper. Which is why I would like to understand how the project's and its community are currently organized.
>
> Regarding, for example, the website. Taking into account how young and small the project still is,http://angularjs.org/is really awesome (in this stage, my own projects use to have a README file at best - which is empty :-)).
>
> But nevertheless, more content, especially for JavaScript newbies, is needed. Maybe a comment function in the reference section would help - see the PHP.net function library, where the user contributed notes helped to create one of the best documentations some years ago (something that imho holds true whether one likes PHP or not).
>
> While googling for angular related content, I stumbled uponhttp://www.getangular.com/- is this an active resource, or remains of a first attempt to build an angular project page? If it is no longer active/valid, I suggest it is removed, because it only serves to confuse users and to weaken the SEO relevance ofhttp://angularjs.org/.

Igor Minar

Sep 17, 2010, 5:11:50 AM9/17/10
to ang...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Manuel on this one. The register link (as well as the
login link!) on the wiki are really hard to find. I'll look into
fixing that.

/i