general architectural name for angular services?

random512

Jul 25, 2016, 11:36:40 AM7/25/16
to AngularJS
An Angular 2 service is basically a wrapper class that serves as an interface into a downstream service implementation. This is similar to how a DAL class would be a wrapper class that serves as an interface into a downstream data store. So what kind of general architectural name would you use to describe an Angular service?  I described it to someone I was showing it to "like a DAL" but I'm sure there's a better way to describe it. Would you describe it as a "service proxy", a "service wrapper" or something else?  "Service wrapper" seems like it might be acceptable but Wikipedia seems to have a distinct and different definition for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_wrapper

Lucas Lacroix

Jul 25, 2016, 11:47:22 AM7/25/16
to ang...@googlegroups.com
IMO, just call it a "Service".

The fact that the service uses another down-stream service is not something that caller need worry about. The caller should not need to worry about the implementation details of the service and making the name specific to the implementation means that it would be more difficult to change the implementation at a later time (ex. if you switch from using the Http service to using a home-grown service to make the Http requests would mean switching the name of the service from MyServiceWrapper to MyService).

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM, random512 <andrew.d....@gmail.com> wrote:
An Angular 2 service is basically a wrapper class that serves as an interface into a downstream service implementation. This is similar to how a DAL class would be a wrapper class that serves as an interface into a downstream data store. So what kind of general architectural name would you use to describe an Angular service?  I described it to someone I was showing it to "like a DAL" but I'm sure there's a better way to describe it. Would you describe it as a "service proxy", a "service wrapper" or something else?  "Service wrapper" seems like it might be acceptable but Wikipedia seems to have a distinct and different definition for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_wrapper

Lucas Lacroix
Computer Scientist
System Technology Division, MEDITECH