Compatibility with Intel Atom-based Android tablets?

Vladimir Oltean

Sep 25, 2016, 7:12:38 PM9/25/16
to Android-x86
Hi,

I'm wondering if I should pre-order the Lenovo Yoga Book with Android or Windows 10. I plan on dual-booting Ubuntu and CyanogenMod (or the stock Android distro with the Book UI).
My question is: what is the support of Android-x86 towards other bootloaders except BIOS/EFI? Can I build a flashable zip image of Android-x86 and install that through TWRP, or is it just the ISO image a possibility?

Mike

Sep 25, 2016, 7:19:43 PM9/25/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

If you get it with android can you root it?

If so I'd go with android. And install win 10. Never owned a tablet  or book so not sure how all that works..

Mike

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Povilas Staniulis

Sep 25, 2016, 8:36:45 PM9/25/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The Android version probably uses a different bootloader and won't work
with Windows.
Windows 10 version most likely uses regular UEFI which will work with
Android (x86).

On 2016.09.26 02:18, 'Mike' via Android-x86 wrote:

> If you get it with android can you root it?
>
> If so I'd go with android. And install win 10. Never owned a tablet
> or book so not sure how all that works..
>
> Mike
>
> Sent with AquaMail for Android
> http://www.aqua-mail.com
>
> On September 25, 2016 6:15:06 PM Vladimir Oltean <olt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering if I should pre-order the Lenovo Yoga Book with Android
>> or Windows 10. I plan on dual-booting Ubuntu and CyanogenMod (or the
>> stock Android distro with the Book UI).
>> My question is: what is the support of Android-x86 towards other
>> bootloaders except BIOS/EFI? Can I build a flashable zip image of
>> Android-x86 and install that through TWRP, or is it just the ISO
>> image a possibility?
>> --

Vladimir Oltean

Sep 26, 2016, 6:51:27 AM9/26/16
to Android-x86
Let me rephrase the question another way.
I currently have a Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 830F with Android. It doesn't have UEFI but instead something called "droidboot". It uses the regular system, data, recovery etc partition table which is specific for Android. Therefore, no support for Windows.
Can I get the regular, mainstream Linux kernel and GRUB to run over droidboot, so I can run Android-x86 or Ubuntu? Can I at least get a .zip image of Android-x86 instead of .iso, and flash that through TWRP?
What are the limiting factors for achieving this?

DDS Central

Sep 26, 2016, 7:17:52 AM9/26/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Android already runs Linux kernel. There's nothing stopping you from using a different userland, provided that you have the needed drivers (especially for X).
I had done this before on my ARM based Asus TF300T (natively, no chroot hacks).
I did this by modifying initrd and adding a boot menu to it. This allowed me to dual-boot Android and Ubuntu. Something similar should be possible for your device as well.
The easiest way, of course, would be to completely replace Android with a regular distro, but I'm not sure if that's want you want.

DDS Central

Sep 26, 2016, 7:28:27 AM9/26/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

As for Android x86, it would probably be hard to port, since most OEMs modify Android to work specific devices. Android x86 is more suited for standard PCs.
You're better of with using stock Android.

Mike

Sep 26, 2016, 12:19:12 PM9/26/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That's kind of what I was thinking if you can root it. You can make an
image of the partition do a reformat and partition in for whatever installs
he wants then write back the image. I was just thinking with the advantage
of having Android installed at the factory better get over there updates
and all that and compatibility issues where is Windows 10 will be
compatible regardless

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

> email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.

Vladimir Oltean

Sep 26, 2016, 12:47:12 PM9/26/16
to Android-x86
What do you mean Android-x86 is better suited for standard PCs?
The question is simply if I can build Android-x86 as a flashable zip file (for example target "bacon" in CyanogenMod) instead of the default target "iso_img" that is being suggested in the tutorials I found.
I haven't been able to do so yet, because of various errors, but they might or might not have not been related to me using an invalid / untested target.

Povilas Staniulis

Sep 26, 2016, 2:01:46 PM9/26/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can, in theory, build a ZIP file using Android x86 as a base, by
modifying the source to make it work with a non-standard bootloader
(that is, neither UEFI nor BIOS), add your own drivers, etc. You can
even build for a different CPU architecture (eg. ARM) if you want.
But Android x86 was never meant to be used like that.

Native Android devices run a variant of Android, which is made for that
specific device.
Android x86 is made to run on standard PCs and does not contain any
device specific modifications/hacks often added by manufacturers.

Guilherme Furst

Sep 27, 2016, 11:46:32 PM9/27/16
to Android-x86
Now that's interesting, I'm in similar situation, since I got a Windows tablet of unkown brand (multilaser m8w).
In my case the cpu is a intel celeron bay trail, so the architecture is a 32-bit. However, its weird the same device you can get with Windows or Android, which could mean even base Android can work on a non arm device.
So if you have to choose, I would say to go with the Android version from the get go, you could add cyanogen later, but there isn't much need for anything else.
In my case, I was able to install Android-x86, the device works with uefi bootloader, but a bunch of things didn't work  right, like display upside down, touch and few other things.

Russ B

Oct 31, 2016, 12:11:25 AM10/31/16
to Android-x86
There are problems with Android-x86 (and derived ROMs like RemixOS and PhoenixOS) running on Atom devices (Bay Trail & Cherry Trail), as well as problems with Linux OSs running on them.  Intel decided not to support those SOCs for anything but Windows (go figure), and I have come across any opensource  Android Linux kernels with good support for them yet.

I did see some work done by "Linuxium", but that seems to still be a "work in progress" (does not work on all devices).

Matt Casp

Nov 2, 2016, 11:47:48 AM11/2/16
to Android-x86
I wouldn't do it. I installed X86 on my Tablet with similar specs and is now just a brick laying around. I can't get into Windows and Android X86 when it actually boots is so messed up and apparently no one knows how to fix either of the  issue's or the support of willingness isn't there.
Seems like a nice tablet and wouldn't want to see your's end up being bricked like mine

Marshall Kiker

Nov 3, 2016, 7:46:46 PM11/3/16
to Android-x86
Linux Mint should run fine on Atom processors. I have an Atom 2600 that gives Android a fit but Linux Mint works great on it. Linux has a larger CPU support selection than Android. Linux is also able to see and properly identify the Atom which is a hyperthreading model and looks like 4 cores to Android and some Linux programs but is seen by the Hardware spec as a dual core.

Marshall Kiker

Nov 3, 2016, 7:48:20 PM11/3/16
to Android-x86
Also note that in my experience Linux Mint runs faster on Atom than Windows and if need be could use Windows based drivers. I had an XP machine that was inches away from the trash but now it works quite well.

Russ B

Nov 14, 2016, 3:29:15 AM11/14/16
to Android-x86
Linux only works well on the older (generation 1) Atom SOCs. There are problems running any Linux based OS/Distro on "Bay Trail" Atom SOCs, and Linux works badly or not at all on "Chery Trail".  Part of this is Intel's fault because they stopped doing Linux kenel development work for anything except their main-line (ie: Core i3/i5/i7 and Core M) CPUs.

Hopefully the open source development community will make more progress on these newer generation chips in the near future.

Povilas Staniulis

Nov 14, 2016, 10:25:12 AM11/14/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Desktop Bay Trail chips are mostly stable with Linux. It's the tablet chips that are problematic.
Most stability problems seem to be related to incomplete and buggy power management drivers.
There are sound and graphics issues as well.