Android-x86 Build 20091113 on EEEPC 701SD

Karl Foley

Nov 15, 2009, 5:51:59 AM11/15/09
to Android-x86
I'm new here so hi!

I've just installed build 20091113 onto my EEEPC and it's very good:
Wifi works
Sound works
GUI works
Battery charge indicator works
Keyboard hot-keys work
Despite selecting English UK as a locale - Keyboard is still
US format

Installed applications work except:
Dev Tools
Google Login Service
Google - This produces a "process.android.development" has
stopped working message
App Store
Trying to install anything results in an out of space message
"AppName could not be viewed. Free up some space on your
phone and try again."
I have a 1GB SD card fitted (formatted using Android) and
3.5GB SSD space left (formatted to EXT2 by installer)
The SD card appears to only be writable by members of the
sdcard_rw group and is owned by system - I can only create
things on it if I su to root. I am also unable to change the
permissions as it is vfat file system.

I get the following message during booting from GRUB, but it doesn't
seem to affect performance:
"[0000.000000] Unknown boot option
'androidboot.hardware=eeepc':ignoring"

Overall - Really great - If only I could get the App Store working.

Off to try stable 0.9.

Yi Sun

Nov 15, 2009, 12:19:38 PM11/15/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for help to test it.
New keyboard layout is not in this release yet. And I will look into
the app strore issue.
Thanks
Yi
> --

Android-x86
http://www.android-x86.org

Al Sutton

Nov 15, 2009, 12:28:40 PM11/15/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yi,

The AndAppStore client downloads to the files area for the application using the public readable flag, so the presence of an SD card shouldn't affect things.

I'm going to get the 20091113 build running on my machine tomorrow to take a look to see if I can spot anything.

Al.

Nov 15, 2009, 1:26:10 PM11/15/09
to Al Sutton, andro...@googlegroups.com
Bit more info. This seems to be a problem in the Android system Package Manager in the build.

If I boot up with SDCARD=premount and try to download an APK from the web via the browser and try to install it from the downloaded files list I get the same error message :(.

Al.

--

* Looking for Android Apps? - Try http://andappstore.com/ *

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the company number 6741909.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Yi Sun

Nov 15, 2009, 4:49:20 PM11/15/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com, Al Sutton, andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Al,
There was an issue where android can not recognize the size of the
file system correctly. I will try to dig into it.
Yi

beyounn

Nov 16, 2009, 6:55:14 PM11/16/09
to Android-x86
I tested following things:
1. run the ISO image on VirtualBox, I can install app
2. run the usb image from my 1G usb drive with a 8G sdcard, I can
install app
3. install the Android into my EeePC from the usb image, with a 8G
sdcard, I can not install app.

For sure that this is an old issue CW was looking at.

I will start on it this evening, now I need to back to my real

beyounn

Nov 16, 2009, 9:04:06 PM11/16/09
to Android-x86
I have found the bug. In the original Android installd code, the file
system size should be unsigned long long, but it is using int instead.
When the size of partition is larger than 2G, the size becomes a
negative value and causes the problem. I will commit the fix soon.
Yi

Vanishare

Nov 20, 2009, 1:40:45 AM11/20/09
to Android-x86
What about lan support? Is there any way to use it yet?

beyounn

Nov 20, 2009, 1:48:04 AM11/20/09
to Android-x86
it works for me. Are you seeing problems?

Karl Foley

Nov 20, 2009, 7:24:24 AM11/20/09
to Android-x86
Thanks so much - I look forward to it.
I'm just building ChromiumOS to test while I'm waiting. :)

Yi Sun

Nov 20, 2009, 5:45:22 PM11/20/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
try the latest build, it has the fix.

Ищезаяц ☂

Nov 20, 2009, 6:43:44 PM11/20/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
yeah. last one worked :) thanks for the great work!
Ищезаяц.
Tibi et igni - Прочти и сожги.

bhoj

Dec 17, 2009, 8:13:00 AM12/17/09
to Android-x86
I am not using android-x86 but I have an arm board running android on
8gb sdcard,I am also facing the same problem of out of space
error.Reading the post I understand that android userspace doesn't
support more than 2 gb.Can point me to the fix which has been added to
android-x86 for this problem.
I would be thankful to you

-Regards,
Vishal

Yi Sun

Dec 17, 2009, 1:24:36 PM12/17/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com

`nicola

Dec 19, 2009, 2:07:46 AM12/19/09
to Android-x86
On 17 Dic, 19:24, Yi Sun <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://git.android-x86.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=commit;h...

same issue here: is there a way to get a .img file with the bug
fixed ?
I don't know how to handle with git repo etcetera
I tried to install
http://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/android-x86-1.6_usb.img.gz
and
http://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/android-x86-20091113_usb.img.gz
but they all got the same problem with appstore when installed to ssd

thanks

Yi Sun

Dec 19, 2009, 2:34:39 AM12/19/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This should have already been fixed in 1.6. What you are seeing could
be a different issue.

> --

Android-x86
http://www.android-x86.org

`nicola

Dec 19, 2009, 2:36:11 AM12/19/09
to Android-x86
On 20 Nov, 23:45, Yi Sun <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> try the latest build, it has the fix.

may I ask which "latest build" are you talking about ?
thanks

Yi Sun

Dec 19, 2009, 3:01:55 AM12/19/09
to andro...@googlegroups.com
build 1.6

`nicola

Dec 19, 2009, 3:05:33 AM12/19/09
to Android-x86
On Dec 19, 8:34 am, Yi Sun <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This should have already been fixed in 1.6. What you are seeing could
> be a different issue.

thanks for the (fast) reply.
I'll try again to troubleshoot when home